A Word Of Warning.

Longboarder

Just had a three day trip to an uncles funeral. 200mile drive and the tintop doesn't have air conditioning. So I got hot and sweated a lot. Two nights in a hotel also with no aircon so little rest and more sweating. By the time I got home today I was spaced out, dizzy, wobbly on my feet etc. Strangely I felt cool and wasn't sweating.

Now I was very careful to keep well hydrated so it took a few moments to suss the problem. Salt loss.

A bag of crisps with extra salt, then just some more salt licked off a finger dipped in salt. Rapid improvement and after 5 minutes I started to sweat torrents. (Significant salt loss leads to loss of sweating!)

So don't just think dehydration. Three days of heat left me salt depleted. Easily solved if you think of it.

Nigel

• Like 3

As a youngster.I played a lot of football. I used to sweat a lot and would often suffer from cramp during the second half of a match. My father came up with a remedy that solved the problem ... but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Both before the game and during the half time interval, I would drink salt water! Revolting ... but it worked.

Eating crisps would have been a preferred option!

apparently if you can taste salt you dont need it. when I'm traveling I always have sodium tablets with me. I've had to work in + 37 C before 20 minuets work = 1.5lts water and 40 minuets in the shade!!

you can also lose 1lt per hour in - 25 C just from your breath!

not a problem at the moment as rio de janeiro is colder than the UK!!!!

Edited by ivorbigun

As a youngster.I played a lot of football. I used to sweat a lot and would often suffer from cramp during the second half of a match. My father came up with a remedy that solved the problem ... but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Both before the game and during the half time interval, I would drink salt water! Revolting ... but it worked.

Eating crisps would have been a preferred option!

I had this too, pack of peanuts was my weapon of choice and worked a treat. Since then I've been sure to keep my salt levels up for sporting activities and can usually feel them dropping as cramp starts creeping in.

Guest mower man

As above salt loss is not good but to much is deadly I did some work many years ago in a large steel works in Sheffield and fainted /passed out and was taken to medic centre 2/3 salt tablets , 2 pints of strong mix lime cordial and an hour wrapped in blankets and was allowed out with very strong bo--o--ngs not to come back for 24 hrs and to bring lots of liquid when I returned , be care full !!! :acute: mick

Guest peter2b2002

be very careful drink a lot more that you think, years ago it was very hot but I was a sevice engineer rushing here and there one morning started to drive to my first call fodled up just managed to get back to base then collapsed first aid chap got me to hospital stones most painful thing I've ever had talking to ladies in the rest room (in those days you could smoke in a room inside hospital) said stones were more painful than giving birth

keep drinking, beer if you must

peter2b

keep drinking, beer if you must

Not quite the point I was making. In this country we all should know that we need to drink lots when its hot but we seldom get prolonged heat. In foreign parts where they do get day after day of heat they are more savvy and know to drink and have salt.

Nigel

Guest janis

Im working in composting and maturation shed is always around 30 to 40c..most of the day u sitting in airconditioned loaders but there is times when a/c stops working or screener brakes down and u need to get out...2min and u need to go change your clothes ..sometimes u need spend couple hours working on something and there really is no different way to do it..but firs time i heard about salt loss..none of us ever had cramps or anything like that and im there now 6yrs...its good to know and keep that in mind...