Robin Hood Series 3 Overheating

Guest Joner31

Guest 2BJacko

"Thanks again guys for all the input and yeah it is definitely overheating due to the amount of water is pushing out of the cooling system is much more than just needing a header tank."

I don’t think you have head gasket problem. I’m fairly sure you just need to seal the coolant system properly. I’d do that before trying to do anything else. I had exactly the same problem.

4 years ago when I bought my 2b it was running a 2.0 pinto it didn't have a proper sealed header/ expansion tank. It was okay while driving but wouldn't be long before the temperature would start to rise and spew coolant out when stood at traffic lights. The thermostatic fan switch was broken so the previous owner had fitted a manual switch. Even leaving the fan running constantly when at a standstill it would spew coolant out and then subsequently get hotter.

I see one of the previous posters has used a VW expansion tank. I have a similar arrangement using an expansion tank from a Renault Megane. I changed the radiator cap so it seals on the top face and allows coolant to freely flow out through what was the overflow pipe. Like a pressure cooker keeping the system pressurised lowers the boiling point. I now have a 2.1 engine in the car and the only time it starts to get hot on the dial (original sierra dash) is if I leave it too long before switching the fan on in very slow moving traffic or at a standstill. It never needs the coolant toping up either anymore.

Edited by 2BJacko

I run a cammed pinto on bike carbs .i have a 82 stat and a honda civic alloy rad and an wxpansion bottle..its not ducted and doesnt overheat.ever.

Although when i first got it i thought it did. It was badly earthed block that send readings all over .

Sort your leaks .check the actual temp..go from there

Guest mdav1970

Just a point...are you running the viscous fan coupling or electric fan? i have recently on my 3 with a pinto, changed to electric as the viscous wasnt pulling through enough air which was causing overheating at stand still.

I just purchased a used mx5 one from a local breakers and made up brackets to fit it across the rad. Keeps lovely and cool now.

I originally had overheating issues, it was not just 1 thing but many each adding to a very frustrating journey

The biggest difference was an upgrade from the Robin Hood Coolman radiator (twin 27 core) to a Bradford radiators twin 40 core.

Other measures already in place are 82 degree thermostat and large electric push fan.

An oil cooler with thermostat adds extra cooling and a recent header tank install has now given a good margin with even my big power Pknto when I run it.

Cheap tricks were wrapping the exhaust and wedging the rear of the bonnet 10mm

Getting the heat out on an S3 is an issue

Guest Jay Paul

fantastic reading guys

the little driving i done with mine i found it got hot and was chucking water out of overflow and due to the engine situation ive not really had much of a chance to look at it since iwill take apic of mine later but im thinking that i need to put a expansion bottle on and try that first

temp wise its hard for me to give a accurate reading as all my clocks and wiring are not working properly hence why it was so cheap

at 1 point i thought about doing a quick fix and getting rid but part of me is getting attached to the close horse in my garage so i thinkim going to keep it and do a few mods once i can get over my engine hurdle

but great topic and there are some people with so much knowledge its great well done sorry for hijack back on topic

Nobby