Exmo Re-Wire

Guest Tazza67

Guest Tazza67

Hi Jamio,

Yep aware it's not going to be an easy one so fingers crossed, thanks for the heads up!

Hi 2b,

Haha lets see how my week at home goes first :p if I've got the headlamps flashing instead of the indicators we will know what not to do!

Thanks,

Suzanne

Guest Tazza67

So I am now happy enough with the wiring diagram that I think it's ready to have a go on the car with.

Final diagram here:

CDGZjoP.png

Wires and relays have been ordered, I found CBS was the cheapest for wire - especially the 12 colours x 10m bundle.

I've also ordered a bulk buy of fuses as I am guaranteed to blow some while playing around with this chassis. (previous experience, determined to get better at it)

Fuse/Relay box:

Still to be finalised - I like some of the ideas on here but want to go for attempting to make my own similar to cb750 (cheers for the idea). More to come on this when the parts arrive... I'll likely put a large part of this together while in the Midlands.

Busbars, fuse box and relay holders all on order.

Total cost so far:

Wire approx £40

2 x tell tales £7

2 x Bus bar £16

5 x relay + holders £8

5x 6pin through to 1pin super seal connectors £20 (includes expedited postage)

Crimp through connectors £5.50

36piece fuse kit £2

Grand total of £98.50

I have a bulk buy of crimp connectors already at home so a few quid for that, but basically on target of £100!

Don't know how £100 stacks up against anyone else?

Thanks,

Suzanne

Guest Tazza67

Forgot to add I've spec'd the fuse ratings... open to thoughts!

Horn + hazard

25A

Sidelights

15A

Dipped beam

20A

Main beam

20A

Headlamp switch + fog

10A

Reverse + brake

10A

Handbrake + digi dash

10A

LHS stalk power

15A

Thanks

Your bulk buy of fuses may be disapointing -- our multi-pack contained fuses O.K but the thickness of the blades was too thin for the fuse holders to achieve a good contact & the high current ones got very hot due to this, so high amps were replaced with Ford originals.

I don't know how the Koso dash is wired. The tell tales may be live - light - output to switch/sender - earth OR live - switch/sender - input to light - earth. (Or a mix of both!) Either way affects how you should connect up to it.

Also does it have a marked LBF light?

Certain telltales are obligatory for IVA and must be marked with the correct symbol/legend.

Indicators.

Hazards.

Sidelights.

Main beam.

Rear fog.

Low Brake Fluid.

You have drawn the Koso dash as if the telltales go live - switch - light - earth. Check.

Your LBF warning light will be on constantly as you have drawn it. LS18 redundant? Needs some thought but I get lost with LEDs and the piddly currents they use.

Lights on telltale is allowed to simply be the normal background dash illumination. Doesn't have to be a separate telltale.

Hazards can/will be the illuminated hazard switch.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Guest Tazza67

Hi Florin,

Fingers crossed then but thanks for the heads up - I'll report back when they arrive.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the thoughts.

KOSO I need to double check but good point, I remember having a play a few months ago and think I'm safe but we shall see... hopefully a fairly easy swap if not.

As far as the tells go:

Hazard - in the switch as you say

Sidelights - separate tell

Main beam - digi dash

Turn signals - digi dash

Rear fog - separate switch with built in tell

LBF- is a separate tell

Lights on tell tale... I thought I read somewhere that if you can change the dash illumination to on or off in the settings it wasn't allowed? Therefore I was planning to go with a separate tell but would happily get rid of that if possible...

Think that's all.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Guest Tazza67

A photo of my finished fuse/relay box to give you an idea of what you can do

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

CB750,

Can I ask how big your fuse/relay box is?

I've spent the evening mocking up how mine will look, admittedly only powerpoint for now, and it's rather big compared to my expectations....

Also where does everyone recommend for fuse/relay box location?

Plan was under the dash / passenger footwell but I am wondering about the space in the engine bay in between the battery and brake/steering column boxing. Largely to make getting to the box easier.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Guest 2b cruising

Getting to he box would be on my priority list.

I've seen some other type kits with a false glove box where the door opens to expose ecu and fuse box.

I will measure up this morning. Managed to squeeze the box in next to the battery. Easy access there once you've managed to lift the bonnet off! Next job is to hinge the bonnet. The plenum has now been changed to a forward facing one - I don't have to take the air filter off now to gain access to the fuses.

Rob

post-11418-0-30384700-1470119821_thumb.jpeg

Managed to measure up. Size of box is 230 x 155 x 90mm high. It takes the fuse box, relay box, 4 bus bars and the ignition switched high power (70 amp) relay. Couldn't get the main fuse inside so that's mounted on the outside of the box. You can see all of these on the photo I posted.

Hope that helps, Rob