Tyre Alternatives To Ao48's

Guest whiz

Thinking of changing my tyres to something else I'm eating through the AO48's in under 2000 miles. They are a great tyre, handling and grip. I'm already anticipating the smart remarks about my driving. Yeah I'm hard on them.

I'm looking for a medium compound track orientated tyre. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy

I have Nankang NS2R's 195/50/15 soft compound

They (I guess much like yours) are a bit dicey when its cold and damp outside, but at this time of year they are great.

Wear seems good too so far.

they felt a bit of a bargain from tyreleader.com

Cheers

Guest 2b cruising

I use Toyo r1r's

My car was stuck to the road and filled me with confidence on corners. Back end just would not break away unless you wanted to using lots of torque.

One of my team dynamics on the rear got damaged going through what I thought was just a puddle on one of brands hatch many back tracks.

I ordered a new wheel direct from team dynamics but was told by them no such tyre was listed. I settled for proxies t1r's with much more tread on them and now I can do figure of eights even when I don't want to.

Back on with my old tyres and never again with those type of tread pattefn. Just as well I bought two wheels and tyres off them as I needed a spare.

The old hardly worn tyres are still on the original wheels so a bit of black paint to fill in the chip on the rim. The spare will be a different pattern but not worried about that.

I could send a picture of the r1r's if you want to shop around and see where you can get some From. Easier for me with email though as I keep loosing pictures on the forum.

Edited by 2b cruising

I have Toyo T1Rs on the mazda......never again......

they are average at best in the dry, & very odd in the wet.

They brake in a straight line very well.

They dont grip under acceleration (LSD diff)

They slide like a B****r when cornering

Guest mower man

T1R 's are bad news on an mx5 so I'm told mine had maxxus on when I bought it, on advise I changed to to Kumho's brilliant tyre but perhaps a bit noisy if you are blessed with delicate ears! mick :crazy:

Guest 2b cruising

Lease notice edited post. R1R, not 1r1 are the good ones.

The proxy's that I would never use again were in fact T1R.

I wouldn't put them on a baby's pram, like driving on wheels made of jelly.

Good job I'm planning on burning through my Tr1s lol. Brand new on the Zero thought they were pretty decent tbh, however as they wore on they did seem to loose that grip and they only have a slight scrubbing on them! I don't exactly have a massive comparison portfolio either so might change that thought after trying some 888s or R1Rs later

if you manage to get some r1r's, please let me know.

Ken.

I just had a quick google and they still seem to be plenty in supply for the Toyo Proxes R1Rs?

I'm probably a fair few months off and will probably be next year I get a set of more track/soft compound tyres to try

Guest 2b cruising

RedTrev:- thanks for that.

Zach:- you won't be disappointed.

Whiz, I've just been reading reviews on the opener site and lots of others are of the same opinion as myself.

One guy is a little disappointed they only lasted 10,000 miles. Must be in his 90's LoL