Gear Knob

nelmo

Piddling question - I fancy a different looking gear knob but all the interesting ones don't seem to be threaded but have grub screws to keep them in place.

Does that fixing method work OK? I can imagine it might get a bit wobbly?

Guest 2b cruising

Ive used a short piece of 13mm copper pipe insert to the knob.

This system has never let me down.

You might have to use a small soft mallet to get your knob on, but once the grub screws are in, it will only twist around or come off when you want it to.

I'm a bigger for gear knobs. I change them at least once a year.

I think it depends on quality. When I bought my RH and went back to collect it the owner had replaced the gear knob with a nice looking new one. It fell off on the way home, the insert had parted company with the main body of the knob!

I use one of those. The idea is that you force the tightest of the three rubber bungs onto the gear stick and then screw the knob on. So it is only a friction fit. And sod's law being what it is, none of them were a perfect fit for me, so it still twists round.

I use one of those. The idea is that you force the tightest of the three rubber bungs onto the gear stick and then screw the knob on. So it is only a friction fit. And sod's law being what it is, none of them were a perfect fit for me, so it still twists round.

Ah really? Bugger - I was hoping that the thread either in the main part of the knob or in the silver adaptor would match my lever. If not, that's even more rubbish than grub screws... :wacko:

Guest 2b cruising

I would advise against the locktite.

I you need to remove the gear knob for some reason or other, but want to reuse the knob, the chances are you will rip the threads out of the softer material of the knob rendering it all but useless.

Larger screws won't be hidden.

Thread inserts would be bloody difficult to say the least.

That is why I use copper pipe sleeping as well as the rubber sleeve designed to take out gear knob vibrations.

The copper tube gives a good surface for the grub screws to bite into and don't come loose.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest tigercatkid

Used both... and the ones with sleeve inserts always seem to come loose - and the grub screws are often only biting into plastic so strip threads easily. I bought a solid machined aluminum threaded knob last year (£10) and it is great, nice fit to hand and solid - highly recommended.

Once you have put the knob on and got it into position, tightening the grub screw should leave a mark on the lever. Then you could just drill a couple of mills into the lever for the grub screw to sit into. That way it shouldn't rotate or come off, unless the grub screw unscrews by a few mill or falls out.

Nige