C20Xe Ecu Swap Out

Guest A.B

The car has now been in and out of said garage for almost a year. Although it's been partially rewired they cannot seem to sort the loss of spark issue.

If anyone could recommend another garage to send the car into that would be great. If not I'm going to have to result in putting it on eBay as is, which i really don't want to do as I hoped to keep it and use it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear you are still having no luck. Is there not some kind of race engineer near You? The redtop is still quite commonly used in motorsport applications, not just vauxhall cars so that may be your best bet. I am still struggling to get mine running after an engine change and if a new coil expected to arrive tomorrow doesn't solve the problem this is what I will end up resorting to.

If you tell me whereabouts you are i can ask him if he could recommend anybody near you, he travels around quite a lot and may know somebody nearby. Otherwise it may be a case of putting it on a trailer and munching some miles.

I have a similar setup as the one bob tucker described in an earlier post. It is fairly simple and up until my engine change worked well. The distributor is the hard to find item but they do come up on eBay. The rest of the system is cheap to to change, cap a tenner, rotor arm 7 quid, ignition module less than thirty quid and now bob and I have swapped info to locate an alternative coil that has cost less than thirty quid. It all adds up but it is just a case of unplugging and then fitting the new item.

Guest lotusPaul

As i said before and i know its not easy but id put your ecu on another car and see if it works.if it does its not likely your ecu.id then put thiers on your car and see if it works. Expecting it not too, but if it does it will issolate the fault.

Easier said than done im aware.

Dave walker at emerald is always worth a call and so maybe Paul Exon formally QEDs redtop man,now Exon race engines

Electrickery is not my forte so may help may be limited.

If all else fails, have a pint.

A known good ecu has been tried on my car and did not rectify the issue, so it's been taken as the ecu isn't the issue.

I'm from Cheltenham but the car is currently in a garage in Gloucestershire. Trailering the car isn't a problem.

Guest lotusPaul

So can we consider it NOT the ecu?

Look at all the pins and make sure theyre ok. Its now time to trace faults. Look at components first. Easy to swap out.but do things one at a time and check after each step. Look at wires and make sure theyre connected correctly.

You said it was working, then electrics were played with. Go back a stage and make sure nothing has been cut/wrongly wired etc. Even take them out and revert back to what it was. Perhaps a ground isn't wired in place or a power is on wrong side.

Understand you dont have car with you. Perhaps it is easier for a complete rewire.

• 2 months later...

Another update, after a bit of searching and talking through the car with them I asked if the ignition / fuel relay was in place which it was not... there was no issue with the ecu. When they put the ignition module back in the car went to fire up but the fuse box again began to smoke.

The garage has now said no more. So now as it stands the car still requires a partial rewire to sort out whatever is causing the smoking issue.

Sadly I do not have the time at the moment to really get into it, my father where the car is kept, is now in the process of moving house and in a state it's currently in can't really be stored as it's not mobile at the new house.

So I now have a bit of an issue, I either pay to get the car sorted and roadworthy or sell.

Any advice would be great or suggestions of anyone who could undertake the work. Happy to pay the going rate for work carried out be it a garage or just someone who has experience with these sort of cars.

That's my view but it's finding someone to sort it. It's also balancing the resell price of a roadgoing car against the work required to get it back on the road. I purchased it as a project 3 years ago now and it I haven't got it going.

It now needs the wiring sorted along with the brakes going over, new carb linkage fitted along with other jobs.