Csr Carbon Front Wings - The Angle Of Dangle...

Guest tigercatkid

Guest tigercatkid

Hi,

I am about to attach a pair of CSR carbon front wings to my Tiger... the question is, what orientation should they be at ?

I have seen many fits, with the flat part at the 12.00 o'clock position on the wheel, also with the flat part at the 2.00 o'clock (or 10.00 depending on wheel :)) position on the wheel.

I would assume for aero benefit it should be at the top, with the longer side behind the wheel to reduce water splash ?

Just want to know before I start drilling :)

GRP0177_IMG_3408-130x130.jpg

I googled images for CSR carbon front wings, & it seems the

majority have the bump towards the rear.....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=CSR+carbon+front+wings&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB536GB536&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO7LvUxdrOAhUML8AKHWZCA-YQ_AUICSgC&biw=1366&bih=643#imgrc=-zyr-NHwM3azQM%3A

but its your kit car, there are no rules, & whichever way looks best

to you on your car is the right way.

Edited by Bob Tucker

Guest 2b cruising

+1 for above.

Flat part designed for aero' to create a little downforce with flat at top and crease to the rear of car.

Also the closer to the tyre especially diameter wise the less turbulence caused between wing and tyre surface.

Guest tigercatkid

Thanks chaps, all good stuff.. and I completely agree with the orientation... its just I've seen them the other way and wondered - "is it me?"

I.d look at bonding them on rather than drilling holes.

What bonding material will hold these on at track speeds? They will be under a huge strain and the contact patch from the stays is pretty small... let me know what you suggest - thx !

You could always bond on some Bighead Fasteners and bolt them to your stays that way they are removable if needed. Sikaflex seems to be the choice of most to fasten on wings.

Edited by Alantoon

Guest tigercatkid

You could always bond on some Bighead Fasteners and bolt them to your stays that way they are removable if needed. Sikaflex seems to be the choice of most to fasten on wings.

Thanks for this suggestion - not come across those particular fasteners - look good, some male threaded studs in stainless would do... cheers

Guest tigercatkid

Just found this one - Sikapower 4720 - automotive adhesive... is this the one to go for ?

Or Sikaflex 552 - just seen that also...

Edited by tigercatkid

i used carbond

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Carbond-940FC-Adhesive-Sealant-Car-Body-Kit-Bond-Glue-Soudal-Metal-Marine-/361011472704?hash=item540df5e940:g:XuQAAOSwLVZVgdXu

ive installed two sets of wings with this now and neither have ever budged its just messy and takes a while to go off

i used ratchet straps wrapped around the wings to the brackets to keep them in place

I know they have a tool for measuring the location of the wing at the IVA, as they used it on mine. So I guess there must be something in the IVA manual, but never looked. In Alantoon's photo, I would say they are set more forward than mine, but probably get away with it because of the mud flap at the back. However, it might all be down to the test centre..

Nige

The general rule is that the tread must be hidden by the wing when viewed from directly above,

that is usually applied to visibility of the side wall, but I would imagine it applies fore & aft too

Edited by Bob Tucker

I believe (i can't remember my source) that from the side the wing must extend past the metal part of the wheel. So if you drew a vertical line up from the very front of the rim the wing must at least reach this at the front. I might have dreamt it but that's what i went with for SVA. I just had it a bit further forward like an inch or 2. It wasn't questioned.

I've seen 2 hot rods in the past couple of months both rolling without any arches at all!!! i don't understand how they don't get pulled over. The one was in the wet and was chucking water up from the wheels