Project Re-Vamp

Guest Jay Paul

Guest Jay Paul

yesterday it went back on the road for its first spin out in ages

didnt got far or mad just out and about done about 20 miles in total and all is fine no over heating and great oil pressure as well although the bonnet dnt stay on after 50 now for some reason it was like a boomerang straight over me head luckily nothing behind or could have been messy but new bonnet clips all sorced and on way

next step is fit expansion tank for good measure and new vents boat vents in bonnet, then its off to my local roller man to strip and rebuild my carbs before he sets them up along with the timing on the rollers again then once im happy with it i can start on the revamp of Interior, Exterior, Electrics and other bits

tbh im quite happy and excited at the fact although i dnt think i will be sticking to the chrome stuff its so bad it has to go and this is where my sign writing skills are going to come into play just trying to work out a colour scheme

first off i was thinking of irridescent wrap but unsure and think its done its time also Carbon fibre look is quite old it may fit with the look so it may end up with bits of that along with some nice cast Orange watch this space

Edited by Nobby

Guest Jay Paul

well starting to get some where after my little scary trip when the bonnet over took my head i decided a i needed new clips and b i need to get the heat out quicker

just rough fitted these vents and bonnet clips as its off to get carbs electro bathed and rebuilt then when it comes back its time to start the strip

and colour change quite excited to say the least

post-13829-0-71496400-1474445379_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-76465100-1474445385_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-49868000-1474445390_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-02236000-1474445396_thumb.jpg

Guest Jay Paul

just had a nice little message from the guy whos sorting my carbs and stuff out

Bit corroded with that jelly stuff. They've been stood and gone dry ,then they corrode with white powder that goes to jelly when fuel hits it. One pump jet diaphragm and arm siezed solid two jets partially siezed so they needed attention!

i think this will make a massive difference to bottom end and pulling off no wonder it had to be above 3k to go any where so by the time they are refited they will be nie on a brand new set of 40s plus when it went to his place last time and put on the rollers the timing was out 12 degrees and the top pulley was seized so new 1 fitted just got to wait now until its back together im quite lucky to have him so close plus hes a old school tuner and played with carbs and engines all his life

he was also saying how much of a difference a few degrees timing makes on a pinto as just 3 degrees is what they alter for road to stage to gravel rallies so mine being 12 out i think i might be in for a shock.

i did think when driving it that the bottom end was a tad sluggish although having only driven a sierra about 3 times i didnt realise

so in short its on the mend i only wish he had taken before pics so you could all see what the transformation would have been like

Going back to your original post, be very careful about changing the seats, there are only a few types of seats that will fit, most of then either having too much cushion to sit on, so you finish up looking through the top windscreen bar, or there's nothing at the sides to hold you in. Also the passenger side is narrower than the drivers side.

The tunnel and sides are also part of the monocoque chassis, there's nothing you can do to reduce them, but you can cover them to make them less obvious.

If the front top suspension wishbone pivot hasn't got a grease nipple fitted, that's definitely a job that needs doing. Check that the pivot bar here has been anchored somehow, this is to make sure that the wishbone pivots on the bar, and not the bar pivoting in the chassis.

The rear anti-roll bar if fitted to original instructions, only sits on the boot floor, with U claps clamping it to the boot sides, I would suggest strengthening this up. I had "bungs" machined up and welded them into the ends of the roll bar, these bungs were tapped with a decent size hole in the middle (can't remember what size, long time ago!) then the boot floor was sandwiched between 2 large plates (approx 3-4") and bolted up to the roll bar, as well as being clamped to the boot side, which in turn was also strengthened under the wheel arch.