Superspec Wiper Stalk

AndyW

Ian - yes that's my fall back solution if I can't sort the original loom and wiper stalk. I'll take a new power supply from the fuse box, use a durite wiper rocker switch on the dash and build a loom to the wiper motor. And add a second momentary rocker switch to give a wash/wipe function.

Basically at the moment I have no wiring at all for the wiper system - I have these 6 wires that stop at the original RHE loom connector block :

black

blue/green

pale green/black
green

green/brown

pale green/red

But I have no idea where they go or come from or what function they have.

Andy

Hi Wanderer - all my connector blocks are behind the centre of the dash on top of the tunnel. This is the nest I have...

IMG_2532_zpsxuipjws2.jpg

The large white connector in the centre of picture (with all red wires) feeds the lights and indicator column stalk switch. The other connector can just be seen at the bottom with the green, black, & pale green/red wires. This would normally go to the wiper column stalk switch. You can't see in the photo but there are not any wires coming out the other side of the connector block.

I think there should be another part of the loom somewhere in that nest with the wires that go to the wiper motor itself. I can't spot them though.

As an aside - that's my gearbox and the ground you can see through the wires. There is no metal plate between the tunnel chassis tubes so the wires are just hanging in the air. Would there have been a tunnel top plate on other Superspecs? Mind you I don't need a heater - there's plenty of hot air comes through from the engine bay :-)

AndyW

Edited by AndyW

If it's any help the wire colours in apre 1980 standard mini wiper motor plug are in the pic below. After 1980ish the BS standard wiper base colour was supposed to be orange rather than light green. The green is just a constant live (might be ignition live?) that does not come from the switch. The black is an earth and does not come from the switch either.

The others are all from the wiper switch.

No green/black although if you check it it may go to earth and thus be used as the wiper earth. Could also be part of a delay wipe system.

Switch will need an ignition live, and the green/red, green/blue, green/brown.

Din terminal numbering would use 53, 53a, 53b, etc for wiper related functions on the switch.

Many manufacturers and at different decades used non standard/their own numbers and colours so its all a bit random.

Nigel

Don't know where the pic went but here it is again.

post-21-0-97916800-1474108006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

Have attached two scans of original wiring loom for wiper motor. From the technical bulletin mentioned earlier, it looks like you need a +ve supply to wiper motor pin 5 (green) and a ground to motor pin 3 (black). There are then three wires from motor to switch as follows:
Blue/Green from motor 1 to switch 6 (motor speed slow);
Pale green/Red from motor 2 to switch 8 (motor speed fast);
Green/Brown from motor 4 to switch 3 (park).
If you don't have these wires in the loom, just wire three new wires from switch to motor.
Switch has the three wires mentioned above and:
+ve supply (pale green/red - +ve supply switched on with ignition) to switch pin 7.

This should be all you need. I've typed this in quickly, so just make sure you've fused your circuits 'cos I could have made some mistakes. Also if anything's unclear please ask.

Connector can be female spades, I guess the original connecter latched, so that the connections would not fall out from vibration.

-steve

post-4684-0-63362700-1474104387_thumb.jpg

post-4684-0-40530800-1474104398_thumb.jpg

Steve, thanks I've got most of that info from my own SSpec wiring diagram, but your extra annotations are useful.

Sorry for being a bit thick, but the bit I don't understand is the wiring to the wiper motor. In your 2nd scan it's marked with * and has 3 wires. Where is this part of the loom on the car? Where does it come out of the main loom?

I can wire up the 6 wires in the multi-plug connector to the wiper switch OK, but I don't understand how this gets back to the wiper motor itself.

AndyW

The wiper wires must have come out of the loom somewhere "above the gearbox". I'll have the car up on the ramp tomorrow (Dorset and Hants meet tomorrow). I'll have a look then, but apart from that I'm not sure (wired in the loom many years ago). IIRC the loom seemed to start from the steering, go to the transmission tunnel, where it split to the back and the front. Somewhere near the ECU and above the gearbox, the wiper wires must have come out.

-steve

Right. I've had another quick look but I can't see any obvious stray wires that should go to the wiper motor. So it's probably best that I spend some time tracing and identifying every bit of loom in my tunnel in detail and looking for any wires that are unused or tucked away. If not I'll have to make a new motor link.

Thanks for everyone's hints.

AndyW

• 1 month later...

A bit delayed while I've been looking at other issues, but I've now found the missing part of my loom that should go to the wiper motor. Took the tunnel cover off and found the 5 unused wires tied up next to the gear lever. Along with the flasher and hazard relays. So I can now progress with wiring up the switch.