2.0 Pinto Coolant Leak From Head Gasket

Gusty

Hi all,

Coolant leak exhaust side from where the head joins the block. It's only a very slight weep, engine runs and drives sweet as a nut. 100 miles max since full rebuild. Head skimmed, block straight, Victor Reinz

Gasket, stretch bolts tightened to the correct spec and procedure. Any ideas please ??? Can I try nipping the head bolts up a little more? If so, to how many Newtons? The last stage with stretch bolts is to turn through 90 degrees which I did. The old type of bolts was to torque to 115nm would this be ok? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks Andy

You've got nothing to loose by just nipping up a bit more

Check manual as I think they say to check after so many miles and that will give you a torque or an angle to work with

If no info I woul use a torque wrench to see what 1/8th extra turn needs and use torque wrench to deliver the same torque to all bokts

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Hope your next topic isn't on overhearing.

Be fine with ford rad, could be risky if a later one with very fine veighns.

Stretch bolts are brill on original sized materials. When using old stuff you might not know all the history of, the bolts can easily bottom out metal to metal during the angle tightening process.

I would always go for none stretch bolts on old engines, false fitting first then measure between top of block and under bolt head. Then measure the head thickness. If any adjustment needed, take metal off the bottom of the bolt.

Use the correct lubricant only under the bolt head to make sure the correct pressure I'd on the bolt length and stop the bolts from jumping or cracking noise when being tightened.

Edited by 2b cruising

Steel block, steel head, new gasket, bolts tightened correctly and it leaks after 100 miles? You have a problem that needs resolving or you'll spend sometime at the roadside cursing that you didn't pull the head off again!