Pinto Firing Order Sanity Check

FERRINO

looking in the good old haynes manual... the bosch dizzy has the mark as per previous threads. Assuming it's the bosch electronic one then there is a pic in the book that shows the 'trigger rotor arm alignment on the bosch distributor at initial static advance'. Look down on it without any rotor arm or cover you'll see the 4 arms in a cross. the one arm should be pointing to the mounting of the vacuum unit which then lines the other side up with a screw head on the outer body that holds the hall effect sensor.

sorry this is the best i can photo right now WIN_20160929_22_09_36_Pro.jpg

Edit - um sorry if there are dodgy looking ads on the side. I normally use tinypic.com but it is not working so randomly picked this image host.

Edited by agent_zed

If you have not manually moved the dizzy then things have got to be right.

If the leads on original cap have not been disconnected then run

it up on that first, then copy the lead set out on your new cap, refit and run up without worries.

The only thing that can hurt your engine timing wise would be valve/cam timing.

Once again if that has not been touched, leave alone.

Only one thing now causes me any concern would be the cam belt condition after being used for an unknown amount of miles, then left unmoved for all your build period.

I would change it before fitting the engine as it is far easier and more accessible for you to re-time.

Just remember after citing, turn the engine over manually amg make sure there is no resistance in turning it at any point except for the compression if you have the plugs in.

Then check all your marks still line up.

Ken.

PS. I have a decent strobe it you would like to borrow it through the post it is available for you, just as it would be to any club member.

Thanks Ken - I think my Dad left our old strobe light in his garage so will look that out when the time comes - but cheers for the offer!.

I am definitely going to be replacing the cambelt - just wanted to fire it up first and make sure everything was running properly. That way if it doesn't run properly after I've done the cambelt - I'll know exactly where I've ball'sd up lol. The engine has been in the car for ages anyway tbh so I'll be doing it in situ.

How did you turn the engine over when it was stored?

If you used a spanner on the cam pulley it's possible its slipped on the cam belt and is one or two teeth out now.

I know it can happen because someone exactly like me (OK, it was me) did the same thing with the engine installed.

No chance of that thankfully - the plugs have been out of the engine for the last 3 years (so I could pop oil down there regularly). Whenever I turned it over I did it by hand on the crank pulley, - so with no compression (due to the plugs being out) it's always been nice and easy.

looking in the good old haynes manual... the bosch dizzy has the mark as per previous threads. Assuming it's the bosch electronic one then there is a pic in the book that shows the 'trigger rotor arm alignment on the bosch distributor at initial static advance'. Look down on it without any rotor arm or cover you'll see the 4 arms in a cross. the one arm should be pointing to the mounting of the vacuum unit which then lines the other side up with a screw head on the outer body that holds the hall effect sensor.

sorry this is the best i can photo right now WIN_20160929_22_09_36_Pro.jpg

Edit - um sorry if there are dodgy looking ads on the side. I normally use tinypic.com but it is not working so randomly picked this image host.

My dizzy looks totally different to that - It's not got the vacuum unit for a start. I guess that's normal though for an EFI dizzy as it's all controlled by the ECU I'd guess?

Cheers

Tony :)

Edited by FERRINO

Have you checked the new and old cap have plug connectors in the same place.including the locating lug..??

Is the center pin in place ??

Is the rotor arm.right length ??

Yep - checked all these. Checked both caps back to back and they are identical. Beginning to wish I hadn't bought the transparent cap now - probably wouldn't be worried about any of this with the normal cap on. :mellow:

Not quite correct Jaimo. Any pinto dizzy will fit and can work on any pinto but they all need their appropriate electrics/electronics with them. So a points dizzy from an old cortina will work with a couple of wires. A bosch inductive will work with its inductive unit and six wires. The bosch hall effect with the ESC2 box and DFTH carb. The later bosch or motocraft with EEC4 and TFI unit. It just all has to be there and connected.

I think just fire it up when ready. It will either work or not. If it sparks but won't fire then a bit of dizzy body twiddling and a timing light and you should be able to fettle the timing. If no spark the a thorough check is needed.

Nigel

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Peter Ray

I'd it's an efi dizy there is a 3 wire plug on the side that connects to the rest of the efi system go back to a point type dizy then update it when it's running

Peter -2b

• 1 year later...
Guest fontayne56

Why do i see photo bucket images in places of the original images. Just trying to fire my EFI up but i would like to know which order the HT leads go to the cylinders cheers !!!

Ryan