2B Speedo

Guest oldman

Just bought an old 2b with plenty to sort out so sorry in advance for all the posts first thing cable for speedo has snapped off where it leaves the gearbox the thing is the cable is way too long about a mt of it was coiled on top of motor so i need to have a long one made or covert to electronic is this a simple job or do i stick with what i have got cheers ray goddard

Do I understand that you have the mechanical speedo and cable?

Your comment about converting to mechanical makes me think that you do.

With the ford gearbox in the ford car the mechanical cable was able to exit the gearbox in a slight curve all the way to the speedo and lasted forever.

Puttung the gearbox in (rather than mainly under) the transmission tunnel means that the cable has to take a very sharp bend leaving the gearbox and always snaps within the first few miles.

The answere is to cut a hole in the side of the transmision tunnel and guide the cable along the floor inside the car and up and round the side of the car before comeing up under the dash and into the speedo without any sharp turns.

or you can buy a right angle adapter that fits onto the gearbox, a shorter cable should be available maybe a mini one would be worth a try?

http://www.burtonpower.com/90-degree-speedo-drive-adaptor-gbt9560.html

there are probably cheaper ones around!

Guest mdav1970

Is there a blanking plug if you go for the electric speedo. I'm loosing a small amount of oil out of where the drive cable goes in and even with a replacement o ring it still seems to drip. I'm going the electric route after the winter break so will look to bung up the hole.

Guest Ian & Carole

The trick with the 2b speedo cable is.................. folk take the cable route from the box and put an immediate 90 degree bend and that is were it will have snapped.

Bring the cable out of the box and through transmission tunnel along the front of you O/S (drivers seat) and with a nice curve up the side panel and int the scuttle area with a nice sweeping curve to the speedo head.

Ran mine like that for 12 years and never had a problem. HTHs.

90 degree boxes are a pig to fit and IMHO very expensive when a nice smooth curve is free.

You can see the cable running up the side panel in this pic, if you want to hide it the trim over i, it never bothered me and was useful at shows when folk asked this question.

car004.jpg