Rev Counter

Guest oldman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I am lost with this the 2b has a 2.ltr ztec motor not sure what I am looking for regarding ecu there is a distributor but only w 4ht leads coming out of it no centre one how does this work bought a manual off ebay but it does not show a lot please help

That is not a distributor but a coil pack.

It actually contains 2 seperate coils each of which sparks 2 plugs.

So aproaching TDC on cylinders 1 & 4 the first coil is triggered and sparks appear in both cylinders one of which is near the end of its exhaust stroke and so the spark does nothing, the other cylinder is near the end of its compression stroke and starts the power stroke. The next time these 2 cylinders are in this position it again fires. This is redundant spark.

The other coil does the same for cylinders 2&3.

The ECU uses a pickup on the front of the engine to tell it when and how fast the engine is running to trigger the sparks at the right time.

Hope that this helps.

Well had a look could not find anything that looks like an ecu has anybody got a picture/photo of what I am looking for cheers under the fuse box there is a box which is sealed by a number of clips and tyraps could it be in there cheers again