2B Rear Panel, Mudguards, Fuel Tank

Guest old_timbo

Guest old_timbo

Right. Reached an agreement with the insurance company so can now start the planning for repairing my 2B. I'm going to need a rear stainless steel panel and a couple of mudguards (in red). Possibly a tank too. What do folk have? Any unbuilt 2Bs out there? Unless I can get hold of a pair of the stainless steel mudguards with the GRP edges, I will be using the full GRP type. GBS can still get these made (6 weeks lead time) but not sure if they fit as well as the originals. What are the problems / cures for fitting these to the rear panel. Anyone done this lately?

Thanks

Tim

I last year fitted new stainless and grp arches..quite simple to be fair.many hands make light work though

Gbs make em in 2 widths make sure you get the correct ones you need

Cant help you in supply... shop about for certain parts though

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 2b cruising

GBS themselves repaired my car year before last. Rear panel was salvaged without damage. Both rear wings were replaced

Originals were full grip. They do have a radius where they are fitted to the rear panel. The figment to the rear panel is under the wings with Silkoflexed type solution, then riveted through the fold on the rear panel. This also goes wher the wing follows the route of the side upper die. At the bottom of the wing the wing folds outward to meet the lower side panel where silkofix or similar has been used and around 4 pop rivets. Overall the job is a good one and you can order any colour you like so no painting required on top of the gel coat.

If you would like some photoes, please pm me with your email address as I have difficulty posting photoes on here using my iPad.

Regards Ken.

Guest old_timbo

Thanks for the input chaps. I think I'll have to dig out an old video player and the dreaded tapes to remind myself how the rear panel was fitted. I don't suppose anyone has had them digitised? Looking at photos of 2Bs and Superspecs with GRP wings it looks like I'll need to fit deeper st.st quadrant sections between where the rear panel stops and the side panel. I should get another session in the garage this weekend which will enable me to come up with a final parts list. Ken I'll drop you a P.M.

Tim

Guest old_timbo

Found them! Seems all I need to fit the panel is some clamps, pieces of wood, a pistol drill and a very large ball pein hammer! Unfortunately they don't show how the panel is formed from the flat laser cut sheet in the first place. At least I'll l have the old one to get some ideas from.

Guest 2b cruising

Tried sending photo's several times today time but it appears I have your address wrong.

I have checked it several,times and it has been as you wrote it.

PM sent to you.

Hi Tim,

I've found one of my old DVD's (copied from the VHS tape). It's a bit grainy, but it shows how to form the panel and may compliment Ken's photos.

If you PM me your address, i'll pop it in the post, or alternatively i'll be passing Duxford next Friday, we can meet outside the Museum.

Let me know either way.

Cheers

Al

Edited by Al Milton