Oil Pressure

Guest Andy Sparrow

Guest Andy Sparrow

I noted that my previously rock steady (at 60 PSI) oil pressure gaugue has changed and now goes upwards to 75 PSI as you rev the 2.0 pinto, could the relief valve be stuck or is it just the new oil I have just changed.

Checked the Haynes for any figures but there is no figure given for what should be the max PSI - it could be nothing (or even the gauge?)

Does anyone know what the the max oil pressure (in PSI) should be at say 4000 rpm

If this reading is right (75PSI at 4000 rpm) - can any damage be done ?

cheers

Andy

Guest TerryBarry

Andy,

According to a Haynes Cortina manual the oil pressure details for the Pinto engine are:

Minimum Oil Pressure @ 700 rpm 30 psig

Minimum Oil Pressure @ 1500 rpm 36 psig

Relief Valve opens at 57 - 67 psig

That's all the information given.

HTH

Terry

Guest trevor hooley

not sure ive an oil cooler on mine which was reading 70psi at 3800rpm, and its just started blowing oil pipes off

Guest daveg

Andy

I don't think you will do damage with high oil pressure :)

Low oil pressure on the other hand :( will do great damage. If you used a different oil then that may account for high pressure, wrong oil can do serious damage however. I would worry more about the type of oil than the high pressure.

Look for API grading on the container, SL is the highest, SF is ok. Use the right viscosity though..

Dave

Guest stuartturbo

probaly different oil But it is possible high oil pressure can fail oil seal earlier due to the pressure forcing the seal lip to run on its surface harder thus increasing the temp of the seal lip.

to lower it,the value cap must be backed off( washer under cap to make valve bore longer )

If the value is stuck it would probaly struggle to raise pressure on start up from make experience in devloping them