Which Donor Car

Guest oldman

Not problem with answering questions. You want to be as informed as possible.

Apologies for labouring the point about trying to get the most complete package possible but this really is a crucial thing in determining what the overall cost of the build is. If you're not that bothered about going the single donor route and getting an age related plate, be aware that a Q plate would allow you to use a different mix of parts. For example you could use Sierra suspension, steering and diff (which are still in reasonably cheap supply) and then instead of a Pinto and type 9 gearbox (£400 for the box on its own), you could use the more modern Zetec with MT75 gearbox (better and cheaper) or indeed a Mazda MX5 engine and gearbox.

If I was building a kit again, I'd still try to get the most complete package to start with, ideally with a donor V5 and although I prefer a 2B to a Zero, the Zero is a much easier kit to build so I'd also be keeping a look out for those as well.

I'd agree with the sentiment on the 2B - to be building a 2B on a Sierra donor and avoiding a Q plate, if that was your goal, would have to be a very good deal on the donor and even then, the 'quality' of the resulting car might be questionable... however there's nothing to say you couldn't get it on the road with the Sierra engine/gearbox/etc and then "upgrade" it over time.

But if there was an option for a newer kit using more readily available donor parts (eg. MX5) then, even if it was a little more expensive, I'd consider the savings of being able to source a single donor that got the car completed rather than fighting to find parts (or succumbing to the Q-plate, if that doesn't concern you)...

I see the Mazda mx5 is more available and at a lower cost if these can be used it makes more sense to me. What plate the car ends up with is not a concern for me to be honest and I'm not looking to build this and complete it in a few months. I've never given up on projects and have always completed past car renovations. If I was in a rush I would buy a ready built car. This is going to be a project that I've always wanted to do and time not really an issue it's to keep me sane and occupied out of working hrs I'm a Auxiliary nurse and support worker, and my spare time is usually spent rebuilding my boat which is now finished. I'm hoping that even tho I may not finish building my hood I can still come to shows.

As I've said in another post in my past I've restored an MG Midget from the ground up and I've built a Monty carlo mini but thay were 25 yes ago. Kit cars is new to me tho and I'm still trying to get my head around it all what I can use what I cant use what will fit in the chassis I'm looking at. 🤯🤯