Spare Wheel Cradle

Guest RuDeaf

• 3 years later...

Is there any strength in the spare wheel carrier? 

Would it be feasible to extend it further to make it so you could mount a bicycle on it, my MTB weighs 13.5Kg & the E-bike 23Kg only need one at once can't ride them both at the same time.

1 hour ago, fry61 said:

On our 2B4 we removed the hoop back to the body-work & fitted a tow bar for our trailer tent --- no problems -- even on a tow down to Le Mans.

Do you have any images or a write up of what you did, I have a towbar cycle carrier so a towbar would be the ideal answer

This old fellow can't find a pic ATM. Not difficult to imagine though.  Cut hoop off & de-burr ends, find/turn on lathe two sections of thick walled pipe which need to be a virgin fit in the tubes. cut to length of over hang required to heavy 40 mm angle iron. A good tac weld required now to keep all in alignment , Take off car & complete  welding, drilling for ball & electrics if needed.  When the complete tow bar is re-fitted drill & bolt under boot.

I used a 50 mm/ M24 tail hitch so only needed a hole in the angle iron.  If later used for a trailer  I would suggest a 10 mm bracing bar (x2 ) from angle iron to top tube near roll-bar braces, threaded at base to impose a triangulation force on the hitch -- will prevent any bending force on the car chassis tubes where they terminate at cut off point.

Hope that helps.

2 minutes ago, Kerry said:

I cut the tube off on my 2B then made inserts so it could be fitted when towing the trailer tent, this would certainly be fine for carrying bikes.

Once again thanks, I suppose, yes that is logical, I could make it with inserts, so it could be either spare wheel carrier or towbar & swap them over as required & run the risk of no spare wheel when I have the bike on.