Sierra Steering Colum Help

Matt brown

Iv been trying to adjust the position of my steering wheel as I'm a big lad and was wondering if anyone knew if this part could be pushed in further to move the steering wheel closer to the dash? Iv undone the bolt but couldn't seem to move the colum through it, any help would be great

DSC_0963.jpghow to use print screen

You can effectively shorten the column by sliding

pushing, persuading or tapping the triangular lower part into the upper round part.

it is a friction fit inside using probably two neoprene bushes

It may be that the column will slide through the bracket but you still have

to shorten the column as above.

Otherwise can you refit the ally bracket the other side

of the fixed chassi bracket?

This may help although it is posted for a different reason

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?4333-Power-Steering-For-A-Sierra-Steering-Column-Preparation

This may help too....just rememberd some columns had a UJ that is adjustable on the triangular tube.

http://www.robcollingridge.com/kitcar/design/steering/

Edited by Bob Tucker

Be aware that the lower sliding triangular column forms part of the "safety" of the column in the case of a collision. In the event of an impact that moves the rack backwards the triangular part should move back into the column and stop the column being forced back into the driver.

I have a spares column that the previous owner shortened the triangular part by cutting it to length. Perhaps that idea may work for you?

• Like 1

I was hoping that I would just be able to slide the black part of the colum through the ally bracket as that would give me about 2in more room this in turn would push the triangular part of the colum further into the upper portion is this not possible then? If not I'll have to remove the bracket and move it to the other side of the mounts, ideally I don't want to be cutting the steering colum if it can be helped

Your first picture of the column with the ally pinch bracket is indeed a sliding support and allows some movement of the steering column. In your picture that I have reposted you can just make out the point where the steering column is crimped from round into a triangle shape. Both crimps have a triangular plastic bush inside. These are a very tight sliding fit onto the lower triangular shaft which ends at a triangular pinch universal joint which is just on the engine bay side of the firewall. The lower sliding joint is circled in white and the upper is ovaled in yellow. One end of the triangle section of shaft is in the steering column and the other sticks through a bearing in the firewall and into the engine bay to link to a triangle pinch part of a universal joint which forms the end of the intermediate steering shaft which joins onto the steering rack.

If you disconnect the triangle pinch on the universal joint you should find that if the upper ally pinch bracket you first mentioned is loosened the column and wheel will now adjust without much force. When you are happy with the new position clamp the ally pinch bolt. The triangle shaft at the lower end of the column can now be either cut to length or hammered back into the column to shorten it to length. It is a very tight sliding fit (or should be!) As you do this keep checking the positioning of the top end of the upper universal joint triangle clamp till triangle shaft is the right length to fit. Don't go too short on the triangle shaft. If you do you will have to remove the steering column from the car before you can pull it longer again.

You should keep an eye on the firewall bearing when moving the column or the triangular shaft. The bearing or its inner part will probably move as well and can come out of the firewall. If it does it will need to be repositioned.

Nigel

post-21-0-28283500-1479724571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder