Omg How The Hell Do I ?

Guest Jay Paul

Guest Jay Paul

been a bit of a busy time for me but managed to get the car up to my mates place to start the interior mods and then we hit a snag

ordered new seats and harnesses and i thought he these are ok until we tried the fit and they too wide to go close to base

is there a way of forming a new tunnel and replacing the side box section with some nice 38mm cds tube and putting a cross tube in plus cutting backon the centre tunnel and make formed 1

im shocked at how much wasted space is in the tunnel what have you guys done to over come this silly idea

post-13829-0-31205400-1481048500_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-21321000-1481048508_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-46110900-1481048513_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-49537700-1481048518_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-79193100-1481048523_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-84058700-1481048530_thumb.jpgpost-13829-0-75296100-1481048538_thumb.jpg

many thanks

You have a monocoque car so you cannot start cutting the tunnel about without the possibility of seriously weakening the strength of the body tub.

Monocoque cars are narrower than the 2B's, and the early monocoque cars are the narrowest of all.

Sell the seats that you've got, buy a tape measure and check the seat width before buying, also BEWARE, the passenger side is even narrower than the drivers side, so if you're looking for a pair of seats you need to go off that measurement.

There are VERY FEW aftermarket seats that will fit your car.

• Like 1

Guest Jay Paul

You have a monocoque car so you cannot start cutting the tunnel about without the possibility of seriously weakening the strength of the body tub.

Monocoque cars are narrower than the 2B's, and the early monocoque cars are the narrowest of all.

Sell the seats that you've got, buy a tape measure and check the seat width before buying, also BEWARE, the passenger side is even narrower than the drivers side, so if you're looking for a pair of seats you need to go off that measurement.

There are VERY FEW aftermarket seats that will fit your car.

yes there is a hell of a difference your right

me being me and seen the seats as narrow as poss bought them not for 1 min did i think they would be too big

my plan was this

trim the tunnel smaller and refab a new 1 and join it to the original so will make much more space

then get rid of the side box section and remake using 38mm cds with diag bars gusetted im quyite lucky my boy is a welder fabricator

or is this a no no

Just buy seats that fit, it is far simpler. Intatrim odyssey will fit if you want similar to what you have.

As above. ^^

Let's say that you have the engineering skills to alter the tunnel, you would then need to let your insurance know, as it's a major alteration to "standard" ie. the standard excepted RH tub, they would then probably ask for an independent engineer's report on the vehicle & your work . If you didn't inform them and were unlucky enough to be in an RTC, then an engineer would certainly be looking at it.

Edited by Big Jim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I discussed this with Richard Stewart back in 1995, when I bought mine. The tunnel is part of the monocoque structure and it is wide enough at the front to accommodate the bell housing and tapers back towards the diff. I got the zintec version and had to drill and bolt the tunnel sides and top - the stainless versions were predominantly pre-welded because of the difficulty drilling the much harder stainless steel. Even then, I got through a number of drill bits.

It is the same size at the back end as the previous live axle version but could be a lot narrower for an IRS setup with a fixed diff. It still needs to accommodate the gearbox at the front so would need to be some sort of waisted design which didn't conform to the keep it simple (and cheap) ethos.

It has been done - there is another reference to it here: http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=44829

• 5 weeks later...