Riv Nuts And Thread Locker

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

The side panels on my marlin are held on with 4 m6 hex head bolts that thread into rivnuts on the chassis. I have found as the car had been driven around all 4 fixings on both panels have loosed off. There is no way for me to fit a locking but on the other side and I am reluctant to use a star washer as it will damage the bodywork, the only other thing I can think of is to use threadlocker, but I'm worried this will then cause the rivnut to spin when I try to undo the fixing. Any other methods of stopping the fixings coming undone?

Guest mcramsay

The riv nuts are not currently loose, the problem is vibrations when driving are causing the m6 bolt to undo its self from the riv nut, normally I would use loctite but I am wary of doing this as it may cause the riv nut to start spinning.

Loctite make several different strengths of thread lock. Have a look on their website, maybe all you need is a low strength one. I think they list the amount of torque needed to break the grip of the sealer when you undo fittings.

I had a screwdriver that takes the removable end bits. It started spinning on the holder to the shaft if i tried to turn screws with a lot of torque, so i dropped some superglue around the joint and it stopped it spinning. Just thinking it might be worth carefully dropping some superglue around the rivnuts just to be on the safeside and give that extra little bit of strength. If you try it test the glue on the surrounding paint to make sure it doesn't cause a problem.

Guest 2b cruising

Remove panels, remove current nuts and use stainless type.

A good welder should be able to tack outer rim of nuts to chassis without getting weld protruding the original rim depth.

How about PTFE tape or plumbing leak sealer?

Not designed for the job but as suggested it may just need something a little soft to stop the vibrations.

Good suggestion :good: ......I will file this one away in the memory banks for future use as I've had similar scenarios as the OP arise myself in the past.