Ford Crossflow/type 9 To St170/mt75 - Winter Project

MarkBzero

I received the new Pipercross PX600 blank back today, £17.00 from DanST, I did not have a hole cutter big enough so ended up drilling lots of small one then finished of with half round file.

post-4145-0-34550400-1488656851_thumb.jpg post-4145-0-91406400-1488656851_thumb.jpg

Hoping to fit VVt pro tomorrow.

post-4145-0-49125400-1488656773_thumb.jpg

post-4145-0-17290700-1488656774_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarkBzero

Started to wire the VVT pro today, not to challenging I need to order a few more connections to fit the ST engine.

Firstly i made a quick wiring loom and decided where to fit the VVT unit, next to Megajolt unit under dash.

post-4145-0-33505500-1488738762_thumb.jpg

I am using a grommet to keep the water out of the passenger foot well and protect electrics. I'll use some proper cable wrap once fitted and working.

post-4145-0-84264400-1488738762_thumb.jpg

Just laid out the wires to decide best route before cutting and fitting connectors.

post-4145-0-47337800-1488738763_thumb.jpg

Busy next week end, but it should not be long before I can hear the engine running. Need to order exhaust manifold next.

i would suggest getting the zero GT manifold it just gives that little bit extra room to play with

Thanks Tractor how much clearance do you get between the side of the car and exhaust pipe, I suppose how much wider is the GT compare to normal Zero?

• 2 weeks later...

Exhaust arrived and new gasket manifold, fitted really well. The new GBS exhaust bracket is very well made and feels much stronger than the early Zero's, although I do not like the spring clip might think of another solution when time permits.

post-4145-0-16159700-1489912874_thumb.jpg

post-4145-0-75199000-1489912874_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I damaged the threads on the lambda sensor plug when removing from old exhaust so I have to order a new one.

When fitting the new alternator and idler pulley it became obvious that I did not cut down the cam belt cover enough so had to make a few changes.

Pain in the behind with engine fitted but now I have clearance for the belt to move.

post-4145-0-35710300-1489913158_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished off the wiring yesterday and tried to start the car, nothing a little backfiring through exhaust and coughing through carbs. It was not firing properly I check the crank sensor connections and voltage at EDIS unit all OK. Swapped the crank sensor and tried again, it was firing but erratic still not starting.

Checked spark on all cylinders 1&4 had no spark, Thought it was the coil but happened to have a spare coil, what's the chances I have two knackered coils? Then I found the coil plug was cracked and the pin was slightly twisted therefore not making proper contact with coil pack. Fixed that and ordered new plug.

It started running rough but with a little acceleration it was fine I turned up the revs and started the manual process of adjusting the idling screws on dhla's. Sounds OK until I get on to a rolling road and tuned properly.

Connected Megajolt but laptop will not speak to MI unit, any advice?

it has to be a really old windows 7 i think to talk to megajolt and if your laptop wont talk to the mj how have you calibrated it and have you calibrated vvt you should really do this before starting the engine

Edited by tractor

Typical got rid of old windows 7 laptop a few weeks ago. Started on EDIS first with no megajolt or VVT, triggerwheels instructions I checked before starting. They even said I could run just on MJ without VVT unit with the correct base map. Email sent to triggerwheels, hoping they have new software. Thank you.

Edited by MarkBzero

Can depend on connection hardware and software. VVT is easy as it's USB. Only problem I had was driver for USB. Not clear in the instructions and win 7 laptop couldn't find it. After you install the VVTPro tuning studio program. On the original software disc its in a folder 'driver', a file called win.inf. In windows go to 'device manager' and you should find VVTPro well down the list with a yellow exclamation mark by it. Double click and update the driver pointing it to the win.inf file. Sorted.

I don't know about megajolt but are you using a serial port to USB adapter cable? Some work, some don't.

I still use the omex software on a win98 laptop that's as old as the hills but kept just for that one job.

Nigel

ps Windows 7 old! :o If it ain't broke don't 'upgrade' it!!!!

Edited by Longboarder