Ford Crossflow/type 9 To St170/mt75 - Winter Project

MarkBzero

At last it runs, I got another USB to serial adaptor and downloaded a few different drivers and it connected. Quick job to set tps and load the ST170 base map.

Running a little lumpy, guessing carbs need balancing again (cannot find balancer so set with ear and piece screen wash pipe) and there's a little backfire/coughing through carbs when cold. So will adjust idle screws tomorrow.

Forgot to say the carbs are set up for 1.6 Crossflow, I spoke to Eurocarb and they have supplied the correct details for the Dhla. Although with the horse power I am aiming for the have suggest a new set of DCOE with 5 progression holes.

Decision time, motor bike carbs or DCOE? Can I survive until after Stoneleight?

Ordered some parts for the car and decided to upgrade to DCOE 45G with 5 progression holes, what the hell it's only money. Grrrr, first problem accelerator bracket and TPS bracket does not fit.

Ordered new parts and the accelerator bracket hits the fuel union and fouls the carb body. Looks like the Zetec manifold brings the two carbs about 15-20mm closer.

More parts ordered today, starting to get frustrated, missed Weston park, will now miss Stilton fingers crossed for Stoneleigh.

• 3 weeks later...

Car is still in the garage, I have been in hospital for a few days and going back in on Thursday. On a positive note I ordered How to build and power tune Weber/dellorto carbs be Des Hammil so I will have something to read when recovering. All going well once recovered I'll be back in the garage for a few minor tweaks.

Does make a change, me doing the recovery rather than my car being recovered by the AA.

• 1 month later...

OK after missing most of the decent days out, Weston park, Stilton and Stoneleigh not to mention local club meets. After a trip in an ambulance to A&E with severe chest pains it looks like my heart is OK. I have been diagnosed with Barrett's oesophagus, oesophageal spasms and hiatus hernia. All going well a minor operation and 3-4 weeks later I should hopefully get back in the garage and finish the upgrade. On a positive note I will not need a Zero GT I have lost 3 stone in 7 weeks, and after the op I need a liquid diet (beer) for 3 weeks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Whilst waiting I thought I would paint cam cover, first and degrease using gunk and then rinse in dish washer.

post-4145-0-90192200-1500449212_thumb.jpg

Couple coats of Daytona yellow (not perfect match but OK).

post-4145-0-31308000-1500449336_thumb.jpg

I know these gaskets and grommets often leak due to over tightening so replace them all.

post-4145-0-59101000-1500449408_thumb.jpg

Ready to go with new NGK platinum spark plugs after checking timing and compression, hopefully this weekend.