Lands End To John O'groats Relay

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

As mentioned by Bob in the "Events" post, members of Kitnet.uk are looking to organise this event.

At an early stage of planning, they are trying to gauge interest in the event and get kit car clubs working together.

If it's of interest to you, nip over to Kitcar.net and take a look.

Looks like it could be fun/challenging but will spread the world of kit cars a little further.

Edited by Gargoil

Guest Gargoil
Lands-End to John o Groats CANDIDATE, 24 Jun 2017

Event: Lands-End to John o Groats CANDIDATE
Discussion in 'Events' started by IanCider, Yesterday at 11:24 AM.

This is the germination of a VERY BIG IDEA

Land's End to John O' Groats (nicknamed LE JoG) in one day!

DON'T PANIC! nobody will do the full distance - this would be a relay event covering multiple clubs.

We had a chat about this at our meet this month and while it is challenging to set it up, it is entirely possible.

This would be the first KitNet "BIG EVENT" aiming to involve multiple clubs en-route and to be part of our first year celebrations.

Our aim is to to run a monster stick of Lands End Rock to John o' Groats in one day.

Why?

It isn't pointeless - it is about getting kit car clubs to work together.

Below is the route and the safe timings - it is not a race but it is a challenge!

It is just possible to get from LE to JoG in one day at mid-summer in daylight.

See the planner map below for the computed detail.

How would it work?
  • This is a relay of about 100 miles (2 hours non-stop) per section - all motorways and major roads to keep the average speed up.
  • Start LE at 05:13, sunrise. Leg one to Exeter services 102 miles, always keeping within speed limits.
  • Handover to the next team passing the baton (stick of Rock) - maximum 5 minutes - enough time to take the photos
  • And keep doing this for each of the 8 locations on the map
  • Arrive JoG 10:25 - just a few minutes before sunset or earlier most likely
DOH! its all motorways!
No problem that is not all of the event!

• The incoming party, having handed over the baton will be met and led by the local Event Marshall to the nearest beauty spot for a car rally - making a full event of their short participation in the relay
So how do we make this motorway dominated event exciting?

Actually this is going to be about 9-10 events in one day - it is the vista points and multiple meets on the same day which count and the relay is part of the joint effort and not all of it.

Back at base we would run Mission Control. We will be in contact with the marshalls at each location, the lead driver's navigator and there would be a big target plan. And we would constantly upload pictures to Facebook as it happens.

It would involve at least 7 clubs and not just Regional clubs - anybody could join-in if they are local.

We whack the whole event as it happens on facebook. Every participant (while not driving) will be able to watch the event unfold on KitNet Facebook.

What if something goes wrong?
Something will on a trip like this because there are so many opportunities to fail. But that is where contingency planning will be involved and teamwork and planning will get us around any problem.

Note: we are only planning on 88% of Google predicted average speeds and we have allowed 5 minutes per changeover but it should be more like one minute - including the handover pics!

Making it happen
We will need plenty of volunteers - there is more to do in the planning than in the event itself. We need arrangers to help set up sections and inform the main plan. We need local marshalls - us and other clubs - to manage the chengeover points and take the incoming convoy to the vista-point. We need lead drivers for each section and a navigator for each car. And we need people to man Mission-control (could be several in shifts) from 05:00 to 23:00 (ish).

KitNet SW could with assistance from other clubs cover the first 3 links.

Date?
Provisionally Saturday 24th June - allowing a revcovery day on Sunday and not competing with Shows which normally major on a Sunday. It has to be either side of longest day on June 21st to get the daylight hours. This is not fixed yet

Triggers
If we gain enough will to do this in the next few weeks it will run.
We need to gain the support of the Scotish Kit Car club (essential for local knowledge and the Highland route) and enough (but not all clubs) to make the links. Complete Kit Car Magazine would like help publicise this but we would need to gain theri buy-in and give them copy in February. I am pretty sure we could get the support of The Westfield Sports Car Club which will help with out range of coverage. All clubs will gain full credit for their part in this event.

Ideas, volunteers and your support please!

Excuse my plagiarism.

Edited by Gargoil

Depending on the date, I could be involved with the Gloucester to Keele section. If they go for the 24th June, them I'm out as it is my Niece's wedding, but if they went the Saturday before, the 17th, I could be up for it.

Do we have members to cover all legs, it would show that we are a national club and great advertising?

No need, Kitnet wants all clubs to help; thus making it a national effort. Advertising will depend on how soon "I wish" becomes "I will " like most events, lots of pre-planning & commitment will ensure a good result.

Guest mark little

I've emailed them saying I'm a member of rhocar and would happily do a stint through Cumbria up into Scotland and there are a good group of lads up on the scotch side that could probably help