Radiator Fan Help

Matt brown

I currently have a rh s7 with a 2.1 pinto and on warm days you can watch the temperature rise when sitting still in traffic or at traffic lights, now the question is the radiator fan is not in direct contact with the rad as the front part of the frame does not allow it, so is it best to have a fan which pushes air from the nose cone into the rad and into the engine bay, or a fan which pulls the warmer air from the engine bay and out the nose cone? Thanks

DSC_1029.jpg

DSC_1028.jpg

DSC_1025.jpg

DSC_1026.jpg

DSC_1027.jpg

Hope that helps, the fan I currently have pushes air from the front of the car through the rad into the engine bay but is mainly focused on the bottom end of the rad due to space

Edited by Matt brown

You don't look to have much room at the front of the engine for a pull fan which are supposed to be more efficient. Your best bet as has already been said is to make a shroud so that all the air the fan moves has to go through the radiator. I am thinking of moving my radiator in to the nose one to make more room, is this a possibility for yours?

Your radiator is either way bigger or sits a lot higher than mine. I have the same issue with the frame and the suspension but I think my radiator may just fit in the nose one. I have a blank cap on it so wouldn't need access to it once it was in. At the moment I have all the space around the radiator blanked off with the plastic boarding that estate agents use for their signs. It's light and cuts easily and all the air that goes in through the nose one must pass through the radiator although the limiting factor is how much can escape through the louvres and vents on the bonnet top and sides. Start with the shroud and see how much difference that makes.

The rad is about 3 inches thick and takes up pretty much the whole width of the front just infront of the frame, hight wise you have to open up the nose to be able to remove the top cap properly and goes pretty much to the bottom of the frame, not sure what the normal size is compared to that

Guest mower man

That sounds plenty big enough IFits flowing as it should and I would doubt that you would have any probs with overheating if it is good.I ran a warm 2.1 [145 ish hp ] in an inboard suspended car with an alloy rad made for an rs 2000, 82 cossie stat,rad to chassis simple blanking to correct flow otherwise stock cooling system and driven moderatly hard ran at 90 degs ,vented bonnet wrapped exh This iclude running in France 3returns to Lemans mick :crazy:

Guest lotusPaul

I don't understand your point..your original question says "is it best to fit rad in front or behind the rad"

So the answer is depending on what you want to achieve.

If you think your running to high temps then 1m fans may cure the issue but not fix the fault.

Is your temp gauge reading correct temp? Some need a 10v resistor fitting or they will read high.

Are you getting coolant flow round the cold flow and hot flow circuits?

Is it bleed ?

On a personal point of view, show as much rad to the air flow, even if you have to box it in to channel the air to it. Fans inside sucking is my preference and twins at that.one on a stat and one on a switch.

Make sure the basics are working first tho.

Regards

Basically I just wanted to know if a push fan is better than a pull fan at first. Then other questions were asked so I answered them to give people a better understanding of the situation.

I don't think there's a issue as such as in cooler weather I can have it sitting for 20mins with very little temperature fluctuation usually around 65-68, but when the weather gets warmer say 18-20 ambient temp when at a standstill the temperature just keeps increasing about 1oc every 20-30 seconds. It seems like the fan ether can't get enough airflow through or there's to much heat soak from the engine/exhaust.

Hope that Clears things up

Just a few thoughts from my S7 ownership a few years ago now.

I think the radiator and fan should be enough to do the job, so what else could be the issue.

Air flow out of the engine bay was always an issue on the S7, do you have some decent vents fitted I had the stainless marine vents fitted to the side of the bonnet.

Is the water pump doing its job, i had a pump which had a pressed steel impeller these can corrode and arent very efficient, a cast impeller works much better.

Is the water flow restricted, does the engine need a flush through.

Wrapping the exhaust helps if only to stop your feet melting.

As for the push pull question, I don't think it matters as long as the fan is running in its design direction. If it's running in reverse it won't be a efficient.

Jez