Pinto Injection Head

Guest DAVE1954

Yes, the only difference is the injection head will have egg shaped ports which means if using a carb manifold you need to be a bit more careful about lining up gasket and manifold when bolting down.

Are you looking at using the injection head on a 1.6? If so it will reduce your compression ratio and so wouldn't recommend it.

Guest DAVE1954

No head not goin on 1.6 going to change my 1.6 although it runs lovely, only done 26k. Can't make my mind up what to settle for,now looking at a 2.0i pinto which I would put my zx6r carbs on and 4into1 exahaust,thought about Zetec etc but I think I'll take easy way out. Thanks for replies Dave

Kent's FR32 or Piper 285 will work fine with bike carbs & 4 branch exhaust.

If you do any headwork you could probably move up to FR33 or Piper equivalent.

Another good cam company is Newman Cams. Just round the corner from me,

& well worth a call to get the most suitable version for whatever your engine spec. ends up.

http://www.newman-cams.com/camshafts/

Guest lotusPaul

If your after a good spread of torque then the standard 2.0i cam is fine especialy with a good scavaging exhaust and intake system. Just keep the bore sizes on both at a sensible diam. An uprated cam needs to be installed as a complete package, ie taking into account any other performance enhancing mods. Keep the motor ballanced and working in harmony with itself.

Any cam with about 110° lobe seperation and 276° duration is fine. Much more than this and you run into increased over lap territory which unless you raise static compression may decrease power at a given point.

Anything you change should be set up on a rolling road by a profesional. Id keep the 2.0i and run as you intend. Pintos react well to a good ignition system thats timed correctly.

Just my thoughts

Guest DAVE1954

Hi thanks for all your comments,I've swapped and change my mind on what engine to put in, but I've made my mind up on pinto injection with all the trimmings, it's going to be cheaper and quick change, will give me big difference from the 1.6 Eco engine. Cheers. Dave

Guest lotusPaul

Standard 2.0i is 115bhp with 120 lbs/ft torque.

How accurate, your guess is as good as the next but generally it was never that good. However a well built motor taking advantage of all modern accuracies will ensure a healthy output and long life.

Please dont assume that by adding fancy carbs or exhaust will increase that dramaticaly, the flow through the valve is still the flow through the valve.

What a good exhaust WILL do is to ensure the cylinders empty efficiently and cause a depression within the intake port to allow the cylinders to fill more efficiently.

A good IR (individual runner) carb solution WILL allow atomised fuel to enter the intake port with the minimum of distruption and maintain airspeed which will prevent fuel drop out.

Adding the two together gives a result better than the individual elements.

This is providing they work together and thats where choosing the correct cam and valve train components is essential to work with both intake and exhaust.

We havent even mentioned compression ratios yet.

Essentially forget about bhp gains as its irrelevent unless in a pub for bragging rights. Tune for torque across the rev range and you cant go wrong.

Build the engine as you have described above and get it properly set up. That way you can ensure its performing at its best and what it produces is what it produces.

My 2.0l pinto dyno.d at 124bhp (wheel) to get that it had bike carbs, felpro head gasket,fr32 cam and injected head, cost a small fortune at the time to convert from efi to bike carb to gain not a feck of lot! Standardish 2.0l zetec puts out more..

Edited by DanE