Pinto Problem

jaimo

Piston rings only seal properly when the engine is running as combustion gasses push behind the top ring forcing a better seal.

Also any thin fluid such as diesel would deep down even with good rings as the rings have gaps, a hot engine will have smaller gaps and better ring seals.

The fact that 1 piston/bore combination has not leaked any fluid is probably due to carbon.

I really think there is some over thinking and (as I have done in the past) a willingness to assume a problem and rip an engine apart when perhaps some more measured and restrained thinking is needed.

If breathers are blocked or connected wrongly you can pressurise the engine and force oil past he rings.

Start simple and cheap.

Only rip apart when the simple cheap options are exhausted.

Well that's the first easy check done

I would have replaced valve stem seals as they can be done with the head on and see if the problem goes away.

Compression testing is more about even pressures across all cylinders which you have.

What do you mean duck did breather go into cylinder

breather from crank to catch tank vented and cam breather to atmosphere

If crank breather was going to catch tank and vented, then you can ignore that idea. Another thought, as you are going to a catch tank have you removed the valve from the crank breather?

Jaimo,

I had burning oil issues using the CVH stem seals as mentioned before. One set i fitted seated great (prob genuine part) the second set i used didnt seem to sit right and a little too big and didnt seal.

biggest problem i had with pinto's was the stem seals even the Kent ones popped off on me!

Guest mower man

my standard 16 valve engine gives out more than 135 and when i get it to a rolling road will be putting out far more than a heavily a modified pintosorearse

by the way mick hows the twin cam jap engine you now have

The Mazda engine has really impressed me , after resetting the ign timing and fitting a a 4/2/1 manifold and 2.5 " stainless no cat system plus a K+N filter it goes really well for 262,000 km no oil use 30 ish to the gallon and screams round to 7,000 rpm if you let it ,I had thought of a s/charger but at that mileage it would need a rebuild to be safe ! :crazy: bum dyno says 120 ish mick :drinks:

Tractor my pinto still runs spot on lol ask Jaimo lol no issues with mine and it was from scrap yard for 80 quid all I did on it was new oil pump and had head done to unleaded and a few tweaks which I won't say lol

Tractor my pinto still runs spot on lol ask Jaimo lol no issues with mine and it was from scrap yard for 80 quid all I did on it was new oil pump and had head done to unleaded and a few tweaks which I won't say lol

wasnt running that well last time i saw it lol.

only jesting

I love my zetec (when its working - Not in the car a) but i also loved my pinto (when it ran

• Like 1