Fitting Hazard Switch

Matt brown

Could someone give me a simple answer to wiring a switch to replace my worn hazard switch from a Sierra. Iv got a illuminated rocker switch and need to know which wires go to the positive and which go to the negative and which would go to the LED terminal on the switch.

Iv added a wiring diagram for the Sierra stalks and the switch iv got,iv also got a couple of diodes to stop feedback.

Thanks

Indicator wiring diagram:

FB_IMG_1485718720064.jpgphotos upload

Illuminated switch:

DSC_1053.jpgimage url upload

Not as simple as that. The hazard switch does several jobs. It switches supply to the flasher between ignition live and constant live. It electricaly joins or separates the left and right indicator circuits. It will also switch a hazard warning flashing bulb on and off. Switches that do this have about six connections. An alternative is to add a hazard relay and a double pole switch in its output. Pics below explain.

Nigel

post-21-0-97403500-1485725470_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-21416800-1485725925_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 1

You can do it with that switch, and one flasher relay, but you will have to put the flasher relay onto constant live. You will also need a couple of diodes.

Two pole switch is better, no chance of leaving the flashers on, one pole switches on the power, the other the indicators, again you need diodes. https://mega.nz/#!G5wXnRjJ!nJtiZ8cUvMfYQll5I-69UxRBYU7fMhsQyVM1PmkXv-o

Shows the two version, pin numbers on left are for the zero P&P loom, but it should be easy enough to connect it up.

Take a look at "Car Builder Solutions" site --- think they have just added a replacement column switch that does the job. If your hazard has gone how long before lights/wipers follow?

Opps my mistake CBS column switch does everything EXCEPT hazards. Sorry.

Edited by florin metal works

Thats ok iv think I get ducks (I think lol) just got to figure which wires are what on the plugs in the diagrams

I take it the relay in the diagram is the original and not a extra?

And I'm guessing you take the red permanent +VE to the first pole of the switch (live in) and the left and right indicator wires to the 2nd pole in the switch (live out) and the brown ground to the 3rd pole of the switch (ground)?

Would that be right?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAVE1954

Hi I had same prob with my ford hazard switch, bought a great little switch and relay( kit) from car builder solutions, catalogue number HAZkit £18. I fitted it in an hour very little wireing

i use a simple two position switch with 6 terminals underneath (dpst)

if the above represents the terminals on the switch...... connect 3 to left indicator (bulbs) cct. connect 4 to right indicator (bulbs) cct. connect 1 to left output from indicator switch, 2 to right indicator switch output.... connect 5 to 6 and to the hazard relay.

simple toggle switch on dash to work hazards.........simples.

this switch can be fitted anywhere on the indicator cct and work......so if you like you can cut the wires that lead upto your indicator bulbs connect the left to 1 and the other end of the cut wire to 3.....then connect 2 to the right cut wire and the other end to 4..... the hazard relay is connected as above...

Edited by snowy2