Mot

tractor

the issue is that if the car is registered after the emissions rule it confuses them. The wording on the DVLA guideline states the date of first use is to be used which is not on the log book but thankfully when they put it into their system it came up as 1986 on mine! He still argued for a few minutes as he could not understand how the date of first use could be before it was registered.

the reason i had issues is that i took my log book, which does not have emissions on it and states the car is registered 2010 so i could see his argument TBH.

Lesson learnt dont take log book that way the only date they see is the registration.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehiclesdownload the manual look at page 2. I was looking for Q plate info but couldn't find any. With all the changes to my car, emissions might be a problem... is it reg date 2001 engine date 1993 or visual only as I thought q plates were. Edited by DanE

My understanding is Q plate is visual only, unless your v5 states emissions values.

Though the manuals state

"Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1 August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971"

Which tied in with dans post confirms visual inspection only.

Edited by theduck

Needs belts for driver and front passenger seat but not rear passengers.

I thought they could have black and silver plates but further reading says number plates are on manufactured and or first registered dates rather than the normal first use so would be black on white and black on yellow, bit ambiguous really.

Edited by theduck

• 1 month later...

Guys

I had an issue down here in Crawley getting the kit tested and it failing the emissions due to an age related plate and thus them trying to test for emissions.

The MOT inspection manual: classes 3,4, 5 & 7 vehicles ( found here on DVSA Site) states in section 7.3 Exhaust Emissions - Spark Ignition - Non CAT test on the flow chart:

"For emissions purposes only, kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998 and W*nkel** rotary-engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987 are to be considered as first used before 1 August 1975."

- I even called DVSA this morning and they confirmed this to be true, as long a the first used date is before 1st August 1998.

I called my test centre that failed the car and explained it all to them, they admitted that the emissions testing of kits is a grey area and will be doing the visual smoke test tomorrow afternoon

Here is the flow diagram from DVSA document.

m4s07000306_1.jpg

Hope this helps others :)

** Thinks W*nkel is a rude word so removed the a

Edited by Onslow
Forum Software thinks the rotary engine has a rude name

Guest peter2b2002

last year when I had my 2b mot'ed E reg I was told it had failed the exhaust emissions, when I asked him to look at my last mot that he had done (they had mot ed it for the past 5 years) he used a different input to the test machine bingo it passed seem there are a few new rules on old cars

peter-2b

Guest Jomeo69

little confused here.

Mine is a Q. And was registered about a year and 6 months ago.

It also has the emissions that is was tested to at IVA printed on the bottom of the front page of the V5C.

Im assuming that when it comes to an MOT mine will be tested to that spec.

I know assuming anything is a little silly when its comes to the DVLA but still.

Joe