Noisy Tappet

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

Still looking for an R380 out of a V8 Discovery or Defender, they have the longer legs in 5th. Or a Tremec from someone who doesn't know what they have got!

Guest mark little

What about the Borg Warner t5 box, it's got the 0.73 fifth gear and bolts to the rover v8, or are they stupidly expensive, I hope not because that's what's in my chimaera.

I see I'm talking rubbish again, the tremec box is a t5, just been looking on the bay, they are expensive aren't they

Edited by mark little

No shortage of R380 Disco boxes out there. Still think that converting to 2wd would be difficult and/or expensive.

LT77 boxes of unknown quality are fetching over £300 with good ones nearer £500. Given that the R380 is a stronger box, there must be a good reason why there's such a demand for 2wd LT77s.

Guest lotusPaul

Try Toyota w57/58 gearbox. Super strong and used in many v8 Cobras. 5th is 0.78 by memory. Call it a lotus excel box and price is halfed too..sometimes.

Guest Tim Norman

Well that idea was a bust! Just been out and the noise is still there. On return as I was putting up on the ramp the oil light started flickering!

So I am now going to give it a good oil flush and whip the oil pump base off and check the relief valve is not sticking.

There are times I fookin' hate this car, or it hates me, just not sure which yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tim Norman

Finally I think I have found the actual culprit. At least two of the push rods are actually hitting the sides of the holes they pass through. because the heads have been skimmed the rods are no longer in the centre and as the hole is just a rough casting............... Gonna have another pair of eys look at it to make sure I am not just being daft. But end result is potentially bent push rods. So first question can you change push rods without changing anything else like rockers / Lifters?

heads now need to come back off so I can drill the holes bigger. I could do them in situ and catch the swarf but knowing my luck...

Hoping to have it al sorted by Stonleigh. If I don't then the garage is getting locked and I am having a year off!

Yes, push rods can be swapped individually but you should recheck pedestal shimming. You could drill heads in situ if you remove the inlet manifold and gasket. Tape off the bottom of the lifter valley and leave lifter in place and the swarf can't drop on to the cam and in to the sump.

Wouldn't think skimming head would cause a problem. I've had heads skimmed and block decked and had no problems. Roll push rod on a flat surface to check for bending.