Hot Exhaust

Guest oldgitmk1

Guest oldgitmk1

Is the exhaust best left open or can it be wrapped and not have the looks of the car spoilt .Just a little bothered if they that should not touch do get burnt.( serves you right may not stand up in court) or do I put a sign Not 2B touched Hot.

No different to a motorbike though is it.

Jez puts a hot sign warning on his wing mirror.

As per iva you can run someone down at 70mph and you can burn them with a hot exhaust. Just don't scratch them with anything.

• Like 2

The silencer is very hot, but the pipes as they leave the body are effing hot. I've always found metal heatshields over the silencer always end up about the same temp as the silencer. If I had to do something i think would make a simple cage with thin bar that isnt attached to the exhaust, just to create space between the exhaust and skin.

The silencer is very hot, but the pipes as they leave the body are effing hot. I've always found metal heatshields over the silencer always end up about the same temp as the silencer. If I had to do something i think would make a simple cage with thin bar that isnt attached to the exhaust, just to create space between the exhaust and skin.

Yes, I did this. But the damage was done by the heatsink on the silencer which as you correctly said, gets to about the same temperature as the silencer.

2017-03-22%2019.51.08_zpstiwgfp7f.jpg

You only do it once & hopefully it's not too serious, some-where in life there are lessons -- some painful -- some expensive --

True of a 'normal' 2B but for for those of us with exhausts on the passenger side it can happen over and over again. :)

True of a 'normal' 2B but for for those of us with exhausts on the passenger side it can happen over and over again. :)

Yes agreed Alan, our 2B is not "normal" ( is there such an animal ?) Florin's pipes are all over the top of chassis on the passenger side --- The driver always offers to help unfamiliar passengers out.

Guest oldgitmk1

Many thanks to all, i did climb out of the car the day i bought it and Yes you only do this once yourself (oh boy it did come a bit keen to say the least) my silencer is covered but not the pipes.