Flat Roofs

gomatthome

Any roofer members out there and can recommend the best method of DIY re roofing a flat garage roof.

Was looking at EPDM and Glass Fibre kits as these seem to be the two main ones suggested.

Any views.

Used both and to be honest I'd just use good old felt. If you use two layer torch on felt you will get 20 trouble free years. I'd question EDMP or glass lasting any longer. Felt is a fraction of the cost too.

The most important part of any roofing system is fitting it correctly. All of the materials in the works will leak if a cowboy fits them.

Guest mower man

After a bad experience with a flat roof , I had a wall plate installed plus rafters at a around 15 /20 deg pitch and felted and tilled no more probs in 20+ years :search: mick

If you have room that's always the best answer. In my case i have an extention on my bungalow so because there is no height to strike a pitch then I have to live with a flat roof. I've experience of roofing tho so not such a problem, I just re felt it every 10 years before it is due to leak.

It has its uses working in the building trade, I don't any more but I still have some useable skills. Not many admittedly lol.

• 1 month later...
Guest IanSouthLincs

I used the self adhesive flat roofing system from Wickes. Used the full paint on primer, then underlay, then the top sheets. Looks like standard felt, been up there 8 years so far and absolutely no problems, would definitely use it again.

I used to get our factory northlight roofs done in 2 layer torch on felt and got 20 year life out of them. I had our garage/utility flat roof done the same when we moved in 20 years ago and it's still ok but looking to replace it over the next year. The roofer I use offers fibreglass and rubber as well as felt but for his own roofs he always uses the 2 layer felt system as it's more cost effective