Winter Projects

Guest mjg86

Cool. I take it you're using a buck-type DC/DC convertor IC like the MC34063 or something, that's one of the ICs over to the left (U2?) to do the primary voltage conversion down to your microcontroller levels? I've gone this approach on a project of mine but it's not seen a harsh environment yet so still to be proven off-the-bench. I did contemplate trying to build a test bench powersupply that will try and provide a car-like noisy supply, using an old coil or something :) but as with all of these things, the ideas come thick and fast but the time never does :D.

Guest mjg86

Yeah I use the MAX5035 Step DC-DC which is intended for automotive use so pretty hardy on its own and can deal with up to 76V inputs. This is then protected further by some TVS diodes so should survive most things the car can throw at it. I then use a second stage with an LDO to generate a nice clean supply which powers most of the board. I like the idea of the bench supply although I think the cheap Chinese one I have is almost bad enough on its own!

Just had a look at your website, the Edtracker looks like fun project.

That's just what I like to hear, suggestions on components I've never otherwise heard of - it's a minefield searching for potential automotive-spec components when you don't know where to start! So I'll bear that in mind, might try the 5035 instead. I noticed your little LDO's, figured it was to drop down to 3.3v on the MCU (I'm not up with PICs unfortunately, I assume they run down there). Nice work.

EDTracker has moved on a bit since that website article :) we're just about to finish CE/FCC testing next week for a wireless version of the product, which will hopefully soon go to market. God that's a long journey I'll be glad to see the end of!