Coventry Motofest 3Rd And 4Th June 2017

richyb66

Here is the email from the organisers

We have a space allocated in Gosford Street, seems we can come and go as we wish but someone there before 9am would be good.

It dosent mention camping so I guess thats a no.

I have attached the Google earth extract that came with the email to show where we are.

Hope this helps see you tomorrow

DONT FORGET A DRIP TRAY

Hello folks,

if you're receiving this email it is because the car clubs you represent have been accepted for display at Coventry Motofest June 3-4. Let me introduce myself, my name is Neil Campbell and i am one of the founders of the event. In a previous life I was a staffer on Practical Classics Magazine, and now I work for Jaguar Land Rover in their Classic section, where I help to look after an (almost) 600 vehicle strong classic car collection. It keeps me pretty busy.

This year i am looking after the club and public classic car parking park of the event. Firstly folks, please see the attached maps for the location of your club stand. As you can see by our expertly drawn maps, in spite of the popularity and size of the event, it is run by a small band of volunteers like myself who do it for the love of it and little else. Coventry Motofest certainly punches above its weight when it comes to value for money, as we all do it for nothing, the event is a registered not-for-profit charity and it remains free for all to attend.

Please forgive us if you were expecting Goodwood Revival levels of contact in the run up to the event, but frankly we simply don't have the resource. We do have a few rules however if you'll indulge us: Firstly, drip trays: Drip Trays are mandatory please. Yes I know, I know, a lot of the oldies are going to drop a little fluids from time to time - goodness knows I do - and so what's the point of having classic cars if you're scared of a little dropped oil? Etc etc.

Yes we've heard it all before; heath and safety gone mad and all that, but no matter how most of us sane people view this, the council want us to have drip trays. So please bring some please. This event is funded by goodwill and Coventry City Council have been absolutely brilliant with us, so lets do this one little thing for them please. They let us close the ring road and blat all sorts of wacky noisy silly stuff around it for one weekend of the year after all, and i think that's pretty fantastic of them.

Second rule is: please be nice. This event was conceived to get people (who may not otherwise get to experience the rich and varied car and bike culture we are lucky to have in this country) into our way of thinking. From new electric cars to motorcycles, classics and moderns - all are welcome. We are also celebrating the vast and amazing industrial history (old and future) of the City of Coventry - the birthplace of the motor industry in the UK.

This is our City - this is our event, it is a showcase to the world of what we have achieved and what we are still achieving - not just in Coventry, but in the Midlands and further afield. This event brings people to it from across the globe, we're very proud of it (we still can't believe they let us do it!) and in spite of it being a complete pain to organise at times, we're quite fond of it and would like it to continue.

Please we do not wish to see or hear bad language or behaviour - burnouts, loud music, all that stuff, please refrain. This is a family event and we all need to be on our best behaviour. This is my personal email, but also feel free to contact me on neil@coventrymotofest.com (i couldn't send the pictures from the Motofest email because i'm basically a luddite) and my phone number is 07905 832412 should you need to chat - this is my personal phone and i do have a six year old daughter so please - no phone calls late in the day etc.

Please regard this email as first contact - please go back to your friends in your respective clubs and make it so. i will be in touch with specific info as and when required but if you could organise and look after your gals and guys and get them to the ball on time that would be great. Timings: we're all about EARLY (believe) at the event but we expect people to get set up 9am or before ideally - most clubs prefer getting in early to set up.

We're pretty relaxed so if you have a skeleton crew who can set up others can follow and park up when they wish. Also unlike a lot events - you can come and go as you please throughout the day but do keep your main stand active all day - be minded of vehicle movements and watch out for pedestrians / children etc.

Each day we have a parade lap around the course at 17:00 that club cars can participate in - more of that another time but you are welcome to indulge.

Please do let us know which days you are attending - unless stated we assume you will be attending on Saturday and Sunday. If you can't do let us know and we can fill your space with another club. Regarding club locations, we've based the location on the expected attendees as mentioned in the forms you sent in. The event takes place all over the city, this year we have concentrated on building a 'spine' between Broadgate and the University campus. Some of the more 'sporty' clubs we have placed near the short oval racing. You see, we do think about this stuff when we get a minute.

So there you are, sorry for the monster email and sorry if you were expecting a more formal response - i live in a world of corporate speak 'cascades' of information from management, meetings, meetings, so many blinking meetings, so I can't bring myself to be like that in my spare time too.

Chin chin, tatty bye and ta-raa a bit (as my nan would say) for now.

Kind regards,

Neil

Guest turbot

saw chrisrucks's car in broad gate,not many cars overall today, bit of rain, everyone must have gone on the saturday, ahh well hopefully good weather for poles worth on wednesday night

Guest Paul Wilshaw

Think there was 9 cars on Saturday, weather was amazing, nice to meet a friendly bunch, hope to bump Into others over the coming weeks... mines the white zero apparently called Peggy by she who must be obeyed. If I figure out Photobucket I'll stick photos up.