Which Alternator

Graham B

I have seen engines with a really small (fist sized) Alternator fitted. What make? What vehicle is it originally from?

I would love to gain some space by fitting one.

Anyone with one to spare?

Graham B

you'll usually find the small ones are denso alternators, often found on the smaller Japanese vehicles, but there are various types of mounts and wire connections, check these out before buying. you may have to make / modify the mountings.

I think that this is the one that I have fitted. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alternator-Suzuki-/142141439686?fits=Car+Make%3ASuzuki%7CModel%3ASwift&hash=item21184a3ec6:g:CqEAAOSwYIxX965z

Edited by Big Jim
  • Like 1

Most of the ones I've seen have been denso ones. They are used a lot on small agricultural tractors and mini diggers and similar. When my dicky one finally gives up the ghost I am going to fit one on my car. Makes the engine bay look a little less crowded as well as a little bit less weight for the engine to turn and carry. Presumably most of them would have enough output for our sort of cars just as Jim says a matter of finding one with the right connections.

Local scrappy for yaris/swift/I10/charade alternator. Very reliable. Don't worry about the pattern of the connections. They all have a big B post and one of the patterns of pins below for ignition light and 12v ignition live feed. Don't pay more than £20.

Nigel

post-21-0-55674300-1494021209_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-25761600-1494021475_thumb.gif

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 1

Quick question in the diagram it shows pin1 with ignition light going to fuse box so is that a live feed from fuse box and the alternator is switching the

earth or is it earthed at fuse box

Edited by tractor

Quick question in the diagram it shows pin1 with ignition light going to fuse box so is that a live feed from fuse box and the alternator is switching the

earth or is it earthed at fuse box

live from fuse box to ign light, alt creates earth when it's not spinning/charging Edited by DanE

Both ignition live and ignition live supply to ignition light come from an ignition live source, either ignition live busbar unfused or fused side in the fusebox. Traditionally ignition light supply is not fused but alternators with an ignition live have not been going long enough to have a tradition so I would fuse that one but your choice.

Nigel

• Like 1

I expected to have to make mountings, connectors are really no problem,, the problem is my local breaker doesn't have a wander round and look, parts are by make and model. I am going to have to change the pulley as Nissan has a standard all their own.

Thanks Big Jim and DanE.