Blue Or Gray Smoke

Guest jelleyhead

Guest jelleyhead

Hi all

Yet more problems.

When accelerateing am not sure what i was seeing.

If it was blue or gray smoke pooring from the exhaust.

So i have done a compression test all cylinders were giveing me 130 psi as they were all around the same i am thinking this is ok or should this be a higher readying am not sure what the compression should be on this engine it's a ford 2.0 dohc.

When taking the plugs out one of the plugs had oil all over it the other 3 were ok

I don't want to start pulling the head off just yet till i am 100% sure what the problem is.

Darren

Guest lotusPaul

Don't panic and start pulling the engine to bits without checking basics first

I second that

Edited by lotusPaul

find a hill and coast down with foot off the throttle then accelerate if you get loads of smoke then valve stem seals or oil control rings.

my old mini used to completely engulf the road before I rebuilt the engine,and it needed new valve stems as well as seals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jelleyhead

Hi all just an update I have taken the head off and this is what I have found.

post-13207-0-89250500-1495991008_thumb.jpgpost-13207-0-86785800-1495991026_thumb.jpgpost-13207-0-14731700-1495991038_thumb.jpgpost-13207-0-98779000-1495991160_thumb.jpg

Any advice on what to do thanks.post-13207-0-93597700-1495991255_thumb.jpg

Edited by jelleyhead

I had similar symtoms and photos to yours after alot (dont start guys)

I changed bottom end and no more burning oil now just chucks it out aux shaft seal all over engine

So check bottom end mine looked good but some was amiss

Guest mcramsay

Hang on a moment, don't go near the bottom end yet, the first and second photo show what looks to be oil coming through from the valve seat, this would point to the valve stem seals, go for the easy things first, stem seals and rebuild, see how it runs, if no change then easy to assume its bottom end.

To me it definitely looks like you have oil coming down through some of the stem seals into the valve

Have a look at the stem seals, check they all have the small springs around the top, generally they tend to go crispy and crack

Guest lotusPaul

I agree with the above. Valve stem seals first. If you want to have peace of mind then spin the crank so all pistons are at same level ish, chuck in a small amount of diesel into all bores and leave to soak in. Any that drop different to the others may need a look at.

Actually your heads dont look bad apart from first picture. Perhaps yours can be saved with a little refurb in the right places.

Sort out head then id look at rings if i were you.