Mot Fail.......

Guest Pauljordan

Guest Pauljordan

To kit for mot yesterday and received a fail notice as ( this one is my fault) fuse blown on rear fog light so not working. Then this one ....... no indicator repeaters fitted to front mudguards. Never have had them grrrr.

Anyway question is does anyone on here know where to get some (2) small side repeaters that I can fit to the front mudguards? Preferably led.

Thanks just about to go upside down under the steering columb to find the elusive fuse box.

Cheers PJ

I think I'm right in saying that although side repeaters are necessary they dont have to be on the cycle wings?

I'm sure someone here will have the necessary knowledge you'll just have to wait until they return from church :rofl:

No Mot should require retrospective additions -- all old cars would be of the road by now being continuously " upgraded" ; were side repeaters a feature on cars when yours was first tested?

Side repeaters need not be on the cycle wings, it all depends on the angle of view from the rear, with most seven stile cars the rear wings are too high, Florin's rear wings are hub mounted so side repeaters could be fitted to scuttle & comply with IVA at test in 2011.

If it's not fitted they can't test it so can't fail it. What year was car registered? Was it a requirement at time of registration? If they were not required at that time I would challenge the tester to show you in black and white reason for failing

I think the tester is out of order unless your car had side repeaters on the front mudguards at first registration and you have taken them off. If your car passed SVA or IVA as is and you haven't removed the repeaters then the tester is at fault. If it was registered pre SVA there might be an argument if it has no side repeaters at all (which it should have done) or the ones you have don't satisfy the rules in place at the date it was first registered.

From another point of view they are a good thing to have but don't have to be on the wings. If high enough up they can be fitted to the side of the body if they can satisfy visibility angles.

Nigel

Guest Pauljordan

Hi Guys, thanks for the input, just to let you all know the MoT guy had to go and check his records.... came back and gave me a printed sheet that stated that for vehicles registered after 01/04/1986 that the side repeater or front indicators must be visible from the side. Just my luck, my kit was registered in Nov 1986.

So it looks like I have to look out for some nice small side repeaters for front mudguards.

Anyone recommend any and from where?

Cheers.

+ finding the fuse box - can you tap in the repeaters to the existing loom for the front indicators - i.e. at the nose?

Why not -- they will only be 5watt per side added to the 21front/21rear.

As a rough guide side repeaters became a legal requirement from E reg on wards. Not necessary for them to be on the front wings, so long as they satisfy the angles of vision from the rear they can be anywhere on the side up to 2.3m from the front of the vehicle.

I know a guy who fixed a strip of LEDs to the inside of the leading edges of the back wheel arches on a Dax Rush, this just met the distance reg, met the angles of visibility and passed the IVA test. Not surprisingly they fell off later and got replaced by some in a more conventional location.

my car passed sva in 2007 and has the side repeaters on the side body panels near the top edge. the advantage being they are fixed and easy to run the wires to around the engine bay (the front indicators are already wired nearby).

Alternatively there are loads of aftermarket (motorbike) wing mirrors with repeaters built in.

hth

Guest Pauljordan

Hi Guys and gals, well I fixed the fuse issue for the rear fog light and I've fitted 2 small side led side repeaters to front mudguards. Taken back for retest and passed.

Thanks for all of the great replies.

Funny thing is on first test and re test windscreen wiper and washers were not tested! Don't think I will be take anymore cars the them for anything in the near future.

I even checked on web and side repeaters are not a legal requirement so long as the indicators can be seen from the side. The ones I had fitted were motorcycle indicators so can defo be seen from sides.....

Rant over now let's hope for some sunshine and dry roads.

PJ