Axle Weights For Rb Exmo

Guest Willsy14

Guest Willsy14

Hi , im currently registering my kit car for chassis plates and need more info on this models axle weights. The car has a 1600 pinto engine. Can anybody help please . Scott

It goes against the grain, but as Duck & Mick say, the extra weight is at the rear.

For a 2B (but I dont know how they compare with an EXMO)

the design weights are 450kg front & 650 rear.

IIRC the Exmo is a bit lighter?

Be clear these weights you declare are maximum design weights. They are not the measured weight on each axle of the car nor the actual total measured kerb weight of the car. They are the max weight the axles are designed to be able to carry. When you get to IVA they will measure the actual axle weights and kerb weight with a full fuel tank, spare tyre and any tools such as a jack and wheelbrace normally carried, add 2 X 68KG for two occupants and 2 X 7Kg for luggage and the computer will apportion the positioning of passengers and luggage weight and distribute it to each axle. These final figures must not exceed the previously submitted design weights.

The 'on the day' measured fully loaded and axle weights will be used in the braking test calculations.

Design weights have to be reasonable. If say you quoted 2 tons design weight then you might have to fit van type reinforced tyres.

You can't quote figures in excess of the sierra designed axle weights. IVA say Ford gave design weight figures in describing the strength of sierra components. (My sierra donor vin plate says Ford gave: axle 1 - 750Kg, axle 2 - 900Kg, and 1600Kg for maximum design gross weight.) The heaviest sierra hatch kerb weight was actually 1145Kg so IVA with 5 passengers and luggage would come up with 1520Kg, safely within the 1600 design weight but not by much!

Equally you can't go too low with design weights and risk exceeding them or your car will fail. On the other hand handbrake test is easier to pass with lower weights.

I went with Ax 1 - 450, Ax 2 - 600 and Gross - 1050 for my Ser111 mono.

Incidentally axle 1 plus axle 2 must be equal to or greater than gross weight. Can't be less!

Nigel

• Like 1

Just to add my experience to the debate.

I had little knowledge of this in 2008 when I SVA'd mine and put 450 & 450, this resulted in getting figures very close to the design weight on the rear so would suggest that Longboarders information is good

You could go down to 550 on the rear but if 450 600 has worked why not