Not Charging

Guest janis

Guest janis

So my kitcar not charging..i wqs thinking it is alternator and get it checked but its 100% and charging..so fit apternator back on but its still mot charging

Big brown wire goes to starter and from starter to battery i test it with mulimeter and it does go to battery..same with small brown wire it goes to battery too..then there is small brown and yellow wire witch i cqnt find where its going to..if i coud find out where three wires goint from alternator i coud even run new ones..mot tomorrow qnd i found that out today..charge battery and hope it will be enough to get thrue mot

Multi meter should show around 14.5 volts if alternator/battery set-up O.K ( have engine running around 1000/1200 rpm -- tick-over maybe too slow ) Does the ignition light come on when ignition switched on -- does it go out when engine fires?

Guest janis

Well its not charging on choke so choke has a bit more rpm..multimeter reads about 12v when running.

I dont have any lights really as its aftermarket gauges..

At Stoneleigh it was found my alternator wiring for the ignition feed and warning lamp were the wrong way round which left the battery at 12V on idle and constantly draining.

Might be worth checking those wires (which I think are the ones you're not sure about) worst case if you can't check, swap them and see what happens. Did me no harm having them the wrong way round, other than the aforementioned no charging lol

Edited by WallerZ

Can you give more info please? What type of alternator are you using? Has it been working OK in the past? When/how did you discover it was not charging. Have you made any changes or done any work just before it stopped charging?

Alternators are fairly simple things to wire in. The two browns you have are doing what they should.(Taking the electric produced to the battery positive, in your case via the starter lead) There should also be a wire, presumably the brown/yellow to provide an ignition live supply through the ignition light to the field coils to make the magnetic field. (Alternators don't have magnets in them) No field, no output.

Some of the Denso type alternators also like a second ignition live feed.

Simple test is to put your meter on the alternator end of the brown/yellow, switch on ignition and there should be 12v there.

Pic below is of usual alternator connections for several types.

Nigel

post-21-0-05824900-1496134942_thumb.jpg

Guest janis

No changes just in spring try to start it and battery was dead..put charger on it start the car once take charger off engine go off..take alternator off and take to alternator rebuild people..they check and said its working..

Yes bi brown and small brown goes to starter..check with multimeter and it workes so brown and yellow goes to ignition..that has to be the one..i can even run new one then if its not 12v on it ..i think i know what to do now.thanks everybody

The alternator has a negative connection that is often overlooked.

It is the body of the alternator and it connects by its mounting bolts, check for paint rust etc spoiling this connection.

Guest janis

Yea that was first thing i did sandpaper all brackets down..i put multimeter and brown yellow and it only gets 5v so guessing broke wire?

Get mot and insurance today so happy days

Guest janis

So run new ignition live from somwhere under dash and its charging etc so me happy..turn ignition off car keeps running till i pull wire off again wtf :D

So before driving need plug ignition live in alternato brown and yellow and to stop car need pull them apart

• 2 weeks later...