Pinto Efi "troubles"

Guest JimmyRH

Guest JimmyRH

Hi All,

I live in the Netherlands and rules for getting a registration on the car are horrible. I had the bad luck I bought a 98 build car that needs to have proper emission, injection, lambda etc..

So I have changed my Pinto to a Pinto EFI, luckily the former owner had already put on a EFI head so the flow side is ok. But now my problem.

My spark plugs all have some oil on the thread, the ignition part is nice gray/brownish like it should be and there is some carbon deposit on the plug.

As I have no registration yet it's difficult to go for a longer drive so from time to time I let it get hot during a small drive and a lot of gray/blue smoke is coming out the exhaust.. smells also. So I'm sure I'm burning some oil inside. I'm no mechanic but looks to me it's in the head. I have a full gasket set, but I have no experience with taking of the head. Is it possible to change the seals without taking it of.

Also, I have rewired it with the EFi Loom and ECU, these are a bit older engines but is there a way to read the engine fails.. Like is the Lambda doing it correct etc. an OBS2 would be great, but that's not on there.

otherwise I just need to get it to the garage, but I'm always afraid of high bills..:(

Guest JimmyRH

Thanks, I'm going to look into that! Did not know it exists. Before I always had Vauxhall Redtop engine cars.. there you could connect 2 pins and count the blinking lights.

• 1 month later...
Guest 2BJacko

I have rewired it with the EFi Loom and ECU, these are a bit older engines but is there a way to read the engine fails.. Like is the Lambda doing it correct etc. an OBS2 would be great, but that's not on there.

The 2.0 EFi Pinto never had a factory fitted lambda sensor that I'm aware ?

Guest chris brown

The 2.0 EFi Pinto never had a factory fitted lambda sensor that I'm aware ?

correct it didn't have a cat either it was a very basic system.

Guest peter2b2002

valve stem oil seals are probably the problem also look at the sump breather left side on the engine by the distributor if that's blocked you might get smoke out of the exhaust on old engines there might be blow by on the rings pushing gunk into the cam cover that's connected to the intake hose after the maf sensor could be a problem

peter-2b

Guest JimmyRH

My EFI loom has a connenction for a Lambda, and one was even attached when I took it out of the Sierra. Offcourse I replaced it with a new one.

The 7 is at the shop now, and they will take of the head to see what's causing the oil usage and smoke.