Fitting Twin Weber To Pinto Engine

Guest lmorley

Guest lmorley

Hi all I am looking for some advice. I have a GBS Zero kit car running a 2.0L pinto engine but I have just tryed to upgrade my carbs to twin Weber 40s. But unfortunately I couldn't fit them because The bottom of the Weber was catching on the chassis rail that runs in the engine bay.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can fit the Weber? I was thinking of getting a new manifold maybe but what angle will it have to be?

By how much, you may be able to lift engine mounts a little. I had a crossflow in my Zero with similar problems unfortunately I have sold manifolds so cannot give dimensions. They are always on eBay, if you buy the wrong one it is easy to sell on.

Had the same problem with my S7. Two ways you can go with this a slimline manifold which will bring the carbs closer in towards the engine or you can go with a Hiflow manifold which will lift the carbs above the side rail. I went with this option.

post-936-0-82544400-1497896893_thumb.jpg

Guest lmorley

Thanks for the tip Chris, I like the sound of the option you went with lifting the carbs. To do this do you know what angle the manifold is at or a website where I can buy one that will fit?

Thanks

Off the top of my head I think its this manifold here

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/ford-pinto-1-61-82-0-ohc-engine-inlet-manifold-kit-twin-weberdellorto-carbs

Got mine many moons ago so check this is the Hiflow manifold before ordering anything.

​Also don't use the rubber O rings the come with the manifold as they have a habit of being sucked into the inlet and making a mess

​of your valves.

Get yourself a set of mishap plates which have the O ring bonded to them ;)

post-936-0-40385100-1497900840_thumb.jpg

Guest lmorley

Thanks a lot for the help I will get one ordered now!

As I am at it I might as well get myself a new manifold gasket as well, do I need a certain one to run twin Weber 40s or will any pinto gasket do?

Thanks

Lewys

Hi,

i might have one available. i'd have to check it has the right clearance you need but i think from memory it looks like the one on ebay. It's not as clean as that though and would need the gaskets and probably new studs (one is bent although could probably be bent back). At the very least i can do the measurements for you if that is any help.

Guest lotusPaul

Dont forget not to tighten webers up fully.it causes vibration from engine to foam up fuel in float chambers, this leads to running lean or having to balance this by attempting to richen up mixture.

Use Thackeray washers and leave a small gap between the coils...there's probably a metric measurement, but in Imperial, it's a smidgen

I am using Thackeray washers and was told the official gap was thickness of a cigarette packet!

Edited by MarkBzero