Superspec Fuel Tank Wiring

deano266

Hi guys where do the wires go to and from on the SuperSpec standard fuel tank. I have green, red and two black. Mine came off and can't figure out from the mess under the dash and having bought it built have no prior knowledge of this part.

Also, should the fuel pump constantly pump when attached to a live?

The fuel pump should not be attached to a live. It is totally controlled by the ECU.

I thought we had already sent you the MEMS wiring diagram, but here is the relevant part. I assume one of the green/red will be the fuel pump, the other will be the sender for the gauge. (The 2 blacks will be earth)

image1_zpstg9pqngk.jpg

and remember, the ECU runs the pump for a couple of seconds when you turn on the ignition, but then stops it until the engine starts.

Edited by alanrichey

I'm sensing a rewire coming on attached his rate as wiring just keeps going haywire and things keep stopping haha

And I didn't realise the ECU controlled the pump I thought it was done by a 12v feed then it switched from inside a relay but will definitely investigate why I'm not getting a feed from ECU then

Edited by deano266

On my Superspec...

pin 86 on fuel pump relay - switching power from battery via 10a fuse

pin 30 on fuel pump relay - feed power from battery via another 10a fuse

pin 85 on fuel pump relay - connects to MEMS ECU pin 20 (black/purple wire). MEMS switches this to earth internally to turn the relay & pump on & off

pin 87 on fuel pump relay - output power through green wire to fuel pump

You can swap the relay with a similar one to test it.

Connections on the fuel pump/sender unit are:

green to fuel pump pin 1

2 blacks to earth, pins 3 & 5

green/black (this might be your red?) on pin 4, sender back to instruments fuel gauge

there's no pin 2

Copied from an old forum post

Pins are numbered left to right when viewed from the rear of the tank looking forward.
Pin 1 - Fuel Pump +ve
Pin 2 - No connection
Pin 3 - Fuel Pump -ve
Pin 4 - Fuel Sender to Instruments (Not as the RH supplied drawing, they have this as an earth connection)
Pin 5 - Fuel Sender earth (Pin is connected internally to an earth tag on the sender body/metalwork and should have an earth wire connected to it from the loom)post-8-1146013876.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I can't find the reason as to their being no power supplied to the fuel pump as tried a working relay on the relay which had the black and purple wire supplying it and still got nothing at pin 30.

On a stranger note my fuel gauge will only go from 3/4 to full (it previously did 1/2 to full). What could be causing this as I know I have full movement from the float

I had issues with the gauge when I set it up stationary on the drive, and then giving me a different reading when driving. I had used the ground connection coming through the loom. To fix this I had to ground the fuel tank sender to the chassis, and ground the instrument cluster to the chassis too.

This may / may not answer your question.

-steve