Wiper Motor

nelmo

Sadly, I have neither of those switches - I have a Carling rocker switch where, in the fast speed position, the slow speed position is still connected/live. Just wondering if that is likely to cause the motor a problem...

That's exactly what I'm struggling with at the moment, although just passed IVA, so I've got 3 years to get it working ☺

Problem with my switch is that it's a OFF-ON-ON type with no connection in the OFF position. I've found a circuit online which uses 2 relays to make it work but I'm going to try get a different switch which has a 3rd usable position for Park.

My wipers have never self parked, and always pass MOT. Clarification from any MOT guru would be helpful, as I've used probably 5 different MOT stations for my 2B and no tester has queried the "no park" on wipers.

Nick

My bad. A quick google suggests auto park facility is not in the manual. If you can time your switching off to leave the blades at the bottom of the screen that's OK. If you have got autopark and it leaves the blades in a position where they obstruct vision then that is a fail.

So in your case better not to bother to fit autopark. Fine as it is.

Nigel

• Like 1

I spoke to Carling Technology today and they are, very kindly, going to send me (for free!) the right type of switch I need, which will effectively be a ON-ON-ON type, so I can enable the Park signal in the first position (if that makes any sense) - means I don't need a relay.

If green/brown (2) on your diagram is connected to a permanent ignition live Nigel, will that not always return & park the wipers?

Sorry no. Permanent (or ignition on) live feeds in to the motor at 4. Returns via 2 during the cycle. When the wiper switch is off part way through a cycle this return goes through the switch which links 2 and 5 in the off position. This runs the motor until a cam breaks the 2 to 4 link in the motor which then stops. That is the park position.

OK, I've got a 3-position switch for the wiper motor but I can't work out how to wire it up (without an extra relay) - can anyone help?

This is the wiring diagram for the switch (sorry, this forum doesn't like Google pics):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FQviPOfRi6mkmB9w2

Its effectively a DP but that link between pins 2 and 4 is an external jumper that can be removed, if it helps (although it then becomes a 2-position switch).

My problem is that, in one of the end positions, I need to connect the PARK and SLOW speed terminals of the motor (I think?) without getting a live connection (which blows the fuse) and the other 2 positions need the live connection for the 2 motor speeds.

A small beer and bag of peanuts for the right answer... ;) (if there is one)

Edited by nelmo

Try this

post-180-0-45061900-1500158466_thumb.jpg

Been looking at this for a day or so because your switch was very funny to work out as pins 3 and 4 are not individual contacts in two of three of the positions,

Richard was close but because pin 3 is not seperate internaly in two of the positions on your switch, when on park there is a constant supply to the slow speed which meant the wipers would not turn off.

You need to remove the external link between pins 2 and 4 and insert a link between pins 3 and 4.

Hope this works

Les

• Like 1