Ford Sierra Dohc Efi Engine Getting Too Hot

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

Anyone got any pics they can put if they have no problems with overheating would just like to see the set up ! Iv tried everything more vents in the bonnet new water pump new stat new coolant added a bleed valve as it had air in the system . The only thing left is to fit a bigger rad I know the Sierra has a much bigger rad and two fans My fan kicks in at 90 but still gets hotter doesn't cool at all then the cap boils over letting coolant out any ideas people

Hi needs a pressurized system as in sierra then the water wont boil at a lower temp.

i had a coolman rad and a header tank and ran fine for years.

rad needs a 15 + lbs cap if fitting a header tank from memory

give the sys a flush and fill with ready mixed coolant seamed to help the zetec.

Stephen

Thinking back there was some thing going back to the thermostat a small pipe that i T in to the top of rad then to header tank

have look in Haynes man as i think it showed a change to the cooling flow from water pump?

Stephen

Stephen is correct, there is a small pipe that comes off the top of the thermostat housing and goes to the top of the header tank which is an air bleed for the system. The thermostat has a small hole in it which must be at 12 o'clock to bleed air.

The hoses to the water pump are changed over in later models and is suggested to do the same for earlier ones, the header tank now goes to the top feed to the pump with the heater return going to the rear of the pump. Mine run ok for years even with a rad off a 1.4l Renault 5.

Les

Guest Jonnyround2003

Sounds the same as my set up can you send any pictures thinking about taking my thermostat out completely to see if it makes a diffence can never get mine to run lower than 100 c

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MoparAl

Hi John, tried to send you a pm but couldn't ? I wonder if you can help. I've just bought a jeep with the efi Dohc in it. I can't get the bugger to fire up, there's no voltage at the coil or injectors, everything points to the crank sensor, in the Haynes book it shows some kind of earth loop going round the wires going to the sensor ? I can't find anything on mine or anything on Google to help me. I wonder if yours has got this and what it looks like, all the best, Al

MoparAl, that's the symbol to show the crank sensor cable is a screened cable. There are two wires inside it which connect the sensor to the ECU and the cable is wrapped either in a built in wiremesh or metal foil, which is connected to earth at one end of the cable only. Object is to screen the two inner wires from picking up any extraneous electrical signals and keep the sensor signals 'clean' for the ECU to read. Very unlikely that's anything to do with your problem.

Nigel