More Power

Guest Seanus01

Guest Seanus01

Hi All,

I'm currently running a 2B with a pinto I rebuilt last year that is producing 130bhp on the rolling road. Set up is stage 2 burton head, FR32 cam and new 38 DGAS carb.

I've decided to keep the car but I want more power. To get significant gains with the pinto is going to be ridiculously expensive so am thinking of an engine change.

What is your recommendation for max power vs easiest install?

Or any other suggestions on power gains?

Thanks

Sean

Guest Seanus01

Other than what was listed above, a full rebuild including pistons, big ends etc. Only reused parts were conrods and crank.

I would like 180-200bhp for no other reason than more speed. Will start to use it for more track days next year and it's not fast enough basically.

Burtons will give you some great advice but I suspect it will be very pricey. Maybe time to fit Zetec, then consider upgrades.

I have just gone from crossflow to ST170 and there is a huge difference.

Guest lotusPaul

200bhp, the magic numbers.

Well your defo into engine swap territory be it a zetec or a duratec or the new kid on the block, ecoboost. You also have vauxhalls red top which is a great engine. Or a NA Cossie for all the pros it offers.

All depends on the work you want to do.

Are you going to upgrade transmission, brakes, diff ratio.

I think it will be cheaper to buy a car thats in the closest spec to what you want, then systematically update/upgrade that.

You do have other engine options in different configurations but im assuming you want to keep to the tried and tested routes.

Guest lotusPaul

Just to add a little on a different element.

Im sure your aware of the requirements of power to go faster in relation to aerodynamic efficiency.

Sevens are, no matter what we do, bricks as far as aero is concerned. So with that in mind consider that 300bhp will not go much faster than 200bhp. And in theory 200 will not get you much faster than 180bhp, but to gain that 20bhp will cost a bit more money for very little gain. Gear ratios are what give you speed obviously but if you dont have the power your wasting effort.

Point to confirm the above, remember the 5speed Nova sri? It went faster in 4th than in 5th because it just didnt have the power, 5th was essential a cruising gear.

Guest lotusPaul

You would need about 9psi to get 200bhp. Depends on setup so its variable.

Every 3psi is equal to 1 point compression therefore assuming you can run 8-1cr you can run 9psi to equal 11-1. Its still a little high.

Old way of turbo pinto was to go exotic carbs of a lotus Espirt turbo or less exotic was the R5 GT turbo carb. These days id consider an efi setup.

So, you can fit YB crank rods and pistons plus oil pump and spray bar to the pinto, it lowers the compression too.

Look at a turbo exhaust and go for a low AR ratio turbo (area/radius) to get boost as soon as poss. I recal rs turbos had a t3 and we could get 200 plus from the 1600cvh with some trickery,132 was standard. Nowadays you can get better turbos cheaper from Jap cars

Cam will need a look at, 285° with timing wheel (esential)

Ignition should be programable with injection

4x4 intercooler

Head will need a good port job concentrating on exhaust port flow more than inlet. Id keep standard inlet valve just 3angle grid it, but increase exhaust size and port it for smooth flow,

Not a complete list as your need a revamped fuel system, clutch, box, diff, brake system etc but its food for thought

You're over thinking it paul. Plenty of turbo pintos running on otherwise completely stock engines with efi and 10-12 psi, after that best route is steel rods and forged pistons.

If turbo is of interest to you best place for advice is the turbosport forums as lots of people on there running turbo pinto setups.

Personally I think your suggestion would lead to worse drivability, keeping the stock 9.2:1 compression helps spool the turbo faster and gives better off boost drivability than you would get if you reduced compression. Mine certainly drives nicely, and a ham fisted idiot built and tuned mine.

Edited by theduck

To tune a Pinto it's all about the head, not just big valves but port work, again, ports are big enough but not the best shape.

A decent big valve head will up your FR32 canned engine to 150 ish. 180 is available with a different cam.

I won't go into the fine details but I have built 2 engines that reached these powers.

To go beyond this with a Pinto is big bucks then I would look at next generation engine, having a proper Duratec in a Fiesta ST I can vouch for this engine which with a cam change that can be performed without taking the head off and an inlet manifold and induction change will push above 200bhp.

As mentioned the 7's aerodynamics make top speed an issue but you will get there noticeably quicker.

When you are looking at engines look as hard at the torque figures as you do at bhp.

Guest lotusPaul

Duck, im not saying he should, im saying whats typically needed to achieve it.

I would personally go zetec for ease, or duratec if you want a light ally engine.

Both are proven and im sure Richard could work his magic as per Dans with a charger.

Snapper, your right on the pinto head being massive already. It was designed for a 2.3 initially. The intake only needs a clean up but ive had great results in the past, a while back past, by keeping intake valve as it is and increasing exhaust size only. It keeps a good balance on in/ex flow ratio.

This will also keep spool times down,

But again, even my love for the pinto has its limits.