More Power

Guest Seanus01

Guest lotusPaul

Home brewed mods will always being diferent experiences to the table. Thats what makes it fun and exciting. There are some fundamental mathematics that will help along the way but its up to you,the end user, how you implement these.

there is so much more to consider, its not just a case of bolt on a turbo and off you go, to do it right to any sort of standard costs money. what ecu you are going to run, mega squirt, omex canems, me221, dyno tech, all are going to cost a fair few quid, the cheaper the ecu the more messing around will be involved to get it working to any decent standard my canems cost around £750 with wiring, plugs and sensors. then a further £400 on the dyno to get it mapped. your cooling will unlikely be able to cope with the extra heat from the extra bhp so another few hundred ££ for a decent rad, how good is your gearbox? a tired standard type 9 will soon give up with all the extra power and torque, is your diff and prop in good condition? are your brakes up to it? will you clutch take it, my uprated pinto clutch cost near £400

within a week of putting mine on the rd i had to upgrade the diff to a quaife atb slip to stop the car going sideways everytime i opened the throttle...

Not trying to put you off, but having just completed a supercharger conversion the cost was way more than 1st anticipated the resulting car is very very quick, the project was fun challenging and frustrating all in one so if you have time money and determination go for it just a lot of research 1st

• Like 2

To be fair, "cheap" and "done right" aren't mutually exclusive. If you play it right, and have patience, you can still pick up decent stuff cheaply or put that extra effort in yourself to save £££.

Equally, ff you choose a well trodden path, you will find most the issues have already been ironed out and you can get away with "simply bolting on" as these bolt ons have been proven to work. I know my 20 year old driveline will happily sustain my V6, despite being bolted to a car with half the power and torque #japoverengineering. So I didn't need to do any maths. Furthermore, I know my old MX5 engine I could bolt on a specific turbo etc, drop in a specific ECU and associated map and I'm off to a good start. Bolt on kit basically with a bit of fine tuning. And it would have cost less than my V6 swap - however this is what I wanted, the concept was proven and so are further modifications to up the power again if I so desire - as this is also proven. Point is, speak to those who have done what you want and there is no shame in following them, like I said, plenty of people will share their experiences, saving you the cost or effort of finding it yourself. If your aim is to reach 200bhp with as little spent as possible on your pinto, theDuck is your man ;)

End of the day you put your money where you want it and I think we can all agree these cars make us happy and we will irresponsibly throw more and more money at them for the exact same result - a bloody huge grin! Our threshold and routes for that result are different.

• Like 1

My cars rough as hell, but it works, and works well.

Paul, spec of my engine setup is:

Bottom end - 20 block pinto from a cortina as it was when it left ford

Head - sierra injection head, again completely original

Custom exhaust manifold for Subaru fitment turbo

Mitsubishi tf035 turbo from a Subaru Forester

Sierra efi inlet manifold

Sierra fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator

Impreza 440cc injectors

Megasquirt 2

Other than making the exhaust manifold I've done everything myself including mapping. I've spent less than most people spend on an fr32 and bike carbs and it drives very well. It's been a steep learning curve and has been developed over a period of time and will continue to be developed further. The current setup though is one I'd happily recommend to anyone with a pinto that wants a cheap way to more power.

• Like 1

Guest lotusPaul

Any idea on power?

Why not use the 04, do you run out of boost or is it reasonably matched?

I found on the only Scooby i played with the 04 ran out of puff, hence my asking.

Couldn't say at the moment as it's not been on a dyno since I fitted the Megasquirt and I've not finished my high boost mapping. I'll have to nip it down to steve walford once it's finished as he is only down the road and get a graph.

On the previous setup, which was a real hack job using sierra pinto efi ecu, injectors etc and some trickery it made something like 140-150bhp at the crank but over 100bhp at the wheels at 3k rpm after which the injectors were out of flow and so it started to lean out and so we set a "manual" rev limiter of 5k to stop from melting things. That was just on the wastegate too at 5psi. So new setup with proper boost control, proper ecu, bigger injectors and of course more boost it's a different animal!

Tf035 is a good match for the pinto imo, at least a stock pinto. Td04 is good for nearly 300bhp with a very healthy midrange in the Impreza's, and you just don't need that level of flow with a stock pinto. Sure if it was forged and I wanted to run 18-20psi then I'd need a td04. As it Is the tf035 spools very low down and carries boost to the limiter, making it drive like a bigger NA motor, but with all the satisfying turbo noises.