Stale Petrol

Hi All,

I am struggling to start my car after replacing the head gasket. It's sort of spluttering but not much more, I've cleaned and gapped plugs, checked connections and made sure fuel is getting to the carb.

One thing I am wondering is whether the fuel is stale, it's been in the tank a couple of years and is what I'd describe as a golden rather than straw colour. Does fuel go off that much the engine won't even run?

It's a 2.0L pinto with DGV carb.

Many Thanks

Nigel

Simple test is to spray carb/brake cleaner down the carb, if it runs better (briefly) it'll be fuel, if not then carb may be gummed up as the fuel has evaporated or your ignition timing or cam timing has shifted after the gasket replacement.

• Like 1

I've had 3 instances where the petrol has gone stale and caused starting problems, changing the fuel cured them. (Never had problems with the old leaded petrol).

How long ago was it running ok? Have you timed the camshaft and distributor correctly when you changed the gasket? Could also be a stuck carb float.

• Like 1

It does go off quite quickly, I never like to leave it more than six months so I drain it in the winter and put fresh in for the summer. It seems to go off more quickly in the pipework in my car rather than in the tank even though my pipes are of good quality. I would definitely flush and put fresh in after that amount of time. If it has really gone off it will smell wrong when you crank it over.

• Like 1

Neat petrol (about an eggcup full) down the carb intake will work well enough.

As said above, if it fires & runs the petrol in the tank can be used to start the barby.

Then refill the tank with fresh fuel.

If it still wont start, I'd carefully re-check ignition & cam timing as youve replaced the head gasket.

• Like 1

Guest peter2b2002

when we moved up norf we had a power cut so I went out to my man shed for the geny that I hadn't used for about 3 years to my suprise it started quite easy

peter-2b

Not being a stranger to "over winter fuel syndrome", and not having drained the tank prior to pulling Gladys to bits over the winter.

My son suggested I fired her up after we had completed the tasks we had set ourselves.

Neither of us thought she would fire on fuel that had been in the system for six months.

Tapped the throttle, turned the key... She burbled into life and sat there ticking over....much to my astonishment.

My sons only comment.....I'm well impressed

Just goes to show...Life is just a bucket of peanuts...or whatever Gump said

It would be sensible to empty the tank, replace the in line filter if you have one and clean the carb.....

Best of luck

• Like 1