1.8 Pinto Poor Start When Hot

Guest Orange1982

Guest Orange1982

Hi. I hope someone can shed abit of light for me,my mate has a 1.8 pinto in his rh2b+ with a single webber carb,fires up fine when cold but just cranks over and eventually fires when hot.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Guest Orange1982

Have tried giving it throttle and no throttle,have tried short cranks and with throttle etc also. It just cranks over for a long time and then eventually starts. Have checked choke is completly off also,have checked spark when engine hot, also ok.

I had a similar problem on mine. It might have been fuel vaporization in my fuel lines. I wrapped the fuel lines in pipe lagging and aluminium tape from any diy store and not had the problem since. Used to have to crank it for awhile until it fired. Now it fires straight away no problem. Might not be your problem as I run a v6 where the exhaust manifold was close to the lines and underbonet temperature was very high. May be worth a look at your lines though and see if they may be vaporizing the fuel.

just thinking does the carb still sit on a black plastic gasket ~1cm thick? Just a though as someone might have removed it at some point to get more underbonnet space. Without it more heat could be going into the carb from the manifold.

Have the fuel/air separator been removed from the line. The sierra had one of these which allowed air to be pushed back down a return pipe if necessary. Loads of people remove it. I still have mine plumbed in and haven't had a problem.

I think some carbs (pierburg?) have a return pipe so fuel doesn't sit in a hot carb and is cycled around. Not that that helps in this case.

Have you tried taking a plug out after you have been trying to see if they are wet or dry that would give an indication whether fuel has evaporated or drained back. A friend has fitted an electric pump to start from hot as he wasn't getting fuel when hot-once it stearts he switches the pump off .