Theducks severely over running Winter Mods - Youtube Series

theduck

Crimping is something you learn. Same as soldering correctly. It’s something you’re taught more to the point. You do gain a feel for it with experience. 

Soldering and brazing is the only way in some situations, crimping in others. You wouldn’t crimp a 295mm cable in an 11kv motor, or even a 35mm in a 110v motor. But underground cables are crimped and insulated in resin torpedos as fat as your leg. There’s a bit of science to getting the right joint. 

On a kit car it’s more important to reduce movement and flex of the joint than how you make it.

And if you crimp with pliers or a vice you deserve a car fire!

Just as dangerous, it’s just not something they test for. 

Let's say that car park fire last year was started by a kit with poor wiring, and the investigation pointed to it. Do you think there would have been no come back then? We are all liable for our actions. 

As for bad wiring causing understeer? If you get a fire at 70mph and panic hitting a parked or oncoming car... it’s entirely possible. More likely you will just end up with a brake down, or a fire in the car at worst, that doesn’t excuse bad practice. 

They didnt used used to mind you driving after 11 pints, you used to be able to text and drive. I think we all agree they are both bang out of order these days. IVA makes sure that we don’t have brake hoses rubbing on a wheel, that the wheels are held on with enough bolts and that the seat belts are safely fixed.... there is a limit to what they can test in a sensible world. I maintain that people who fit crimps with a pair of pliers are asking for trouble and should invest in the correct tools for the job, £10 off eBay isn’t anyone’s life savings surely. 

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ratchet-Crimper-Cable-Wire-Terminals-Electrical-Adjustable-Plier-Crimping-Tool/223584048005?epid=595317011&hash=item340ea5d385:g:2SQAAOSw7CBdC8PF

ratchet crimpers are ideal. Even a cheap set like these give a measured compression. 

Colours are red for up to 1.5mm cable, blue for 2.5 and yellow for 4 and 6mm. You’re into tube lugs 10mm and beyond. I have a couple of sets of crimpers for up to 300mm cables if anyone needs to use a pair. They are much more costly, especially the hydraulic set. 

Well as an electrical engineer with three decades of experience in industry I’ve yet to have an insulated crimp fail that hasn’t been overloaded or subject to some sort interference. Must have made 20,000 of them off. That said we don’t use eBay crimps we have branded ones. You need to be sure you fill the lug too so the crimping process can remove all of the air from the joint preventing movement and high resistance. They are more bulky than naked lugs but make a lower resistance joint. 

I really do need to change that wheel!  I originally fitted it when the column was mounted lower and bigger wheels werent clearing my fat legs! Now the column is higher and I will be fitting some seats that get me lower in the car, I think a bigger wheel is in order.  

I was being quite restrained on that drive, certainly didnt use any where near all the revs, and pretty sure was only just coming on boost!  Need to get wheel alignment sorted before I really push it ;)