Engine Mounts

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi Sierra diff, no prop at moment, he's got a type9 gearbox, intends to buy blacktop, is it a case of putting all on the floor fixed together and getting tape measure out.

More a case of using a crane and lumps of wood to position it roughly in the car, then make the engine and gearbox mounts and then measure for a prop. Or if he manages to get a prop around the right length then position engine and box to suit but again, really need to mock it up in the car.

apart from the gearbox having to fit in the gap you also have to make sure the gearstick comes out in the correct place as you don't want to end up with it hitting the dash board etc.

I can't quite remember but someone on here will know but i think the MT75 gearbox has a remote shifter in which case it could be modded to adjust the position if necessary. The mt75 is also a stronger box and you can probably sell the type 9 for more than the cost of a mt75. Although they are bigger so check space to fit.

I also have a feeling a commonly used engine mount is the landrover mounts which seem cheap enough....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-110-ENGINE-MOUNTING-RUBBERS-Set-of-2-ANR1808-/270715903091?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

can't see why they wouldnt work.

As above though just a case of mocking it all up. measure measure and measure again.

Alternatively if you are making a new prop anyway you could look at getting an mx5 engine and gearbox as they should fit and possibly less hassle/cheaper than joining the blacktop to type nine.