Stainless Robin

Guest scoobydo71

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scoobydo71

I know it it can be done, it's more about how clever it is?

There's not a vast weight difference so, no real issue there. It's the torque that I can get from 4.6 that may tear it apart.

More about how much time I have (not a lot!) . Maybe I will do it but will really have to stiffen it up!!

Good, we appear to be along the same lines, strengthen anything that frightens me!

As for cooling, it does have a pretty old fashion rad on it (assumed cortina). Built in at a steep angle within the nose. One has to remove nose (4x zues fasteners) to remove rad cap?

It has a decently positioned expansion tank (sierra I guess) tho, and yes, kenlowe fan with adjustable kenlowe thermostat with capillary fitted in top hose.

I've never driven it anger of course but, it runs up to temp in the garage ok and the fan cuts in and out quite happily with no histrionics. Fingers crossed eh?

My Missus read your profile by the way. She likes. Hope you are managing to grow old disgracefully. That's my plan too!!!

Greg

The test for the cooling will be next summer.

Meanwhile, if you need to know anything before you tackle a particular job, get back to me, I've had to do it all to my car in the past.

Tell you missis thanks, I'm doing my best to live up to my tag line.

post-51-0-61989400-1510878868_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-62063900-1510878896_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-33323600-1510878905_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big Jim

Guest scoobydo71

Thanks.

You've been brilliantly useful so far.

I've got my head round to just treating it as a special and to build it as I feel fit. I will still ask if I feel the need tho, even if just to compare solutions.

I'm a bit peeved that I paid for one with long MOT tho. The idea was a project that I could drive about and fiddle with as I desired. It's just not safe enough (AND I come from pre health and safety land!) the cracking will only get worse too of course! Note to self again - BUYER BEWARE DUMB ASS!!!

I'll fix it tho. Too many good bits to give in.

Janet (the missus) laughs, keep working on your tag! :)

Of course I've bought it whilst we're doing a full house rebuild with extensions and all that jazz. Guess where her priorities are? My garage time is limited! :(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest scoobydo71

Cheers guys,

danliv.

I plan to fix up my tub, it's not so bad yet, but, the cracks do need catching and bracing right now!

If I find anything much more serious, I will chat about yours.

Tim,

Have a 4 into 1 long header stainless manifold already on it. Should be good for flow. Fouls the steering column tho so need to try and shufty the engine over a little or, cut and shut it a bit to make clearance!

Got any pics of yours fitted? Easy solutions are always wanted (and paid for)!

Might be interested in your V8 pipes if still available ( one for the future).

Fuel tank is number 1 priority tho.

• 9 months later...
Guest scoobydo71

Hi again guys,

Just a quick question, hope it works through this post?

I need to replace my upper wishbone ball joints. What are they from?

Look a lot like P38 Range Rover track rod ends but, given it's dark, wet and I'm dry and warm in the office so I'm not going up the garden to compare with mine!

Any answers welcome.

If you haven't read the whole post, mine we think is a mk3 or 3A stainless monocoque. Inboard coilovers of course (1997 probably).

Cheers.

Yes Transit ball joints, a search will give you specific part numbers.

If you search my posts you will find the reinforcements I did to the tub/chassis.

I have not suffered from tub cracks except for the underboot floor which again is well documented

Guest scoobydo71

Cheers guys, sorted!

I did check Transit parts first but didn't go old enough.

90's Trannies have a female thread fitting not male so I'd dismissed them!

Thanks again for the help.

• 2 months later...
Guest scoobydo71

Hi Guys, I'm back again.

I've now had my stainless monocoque  tub welded and strengthened at work, now it's back at home for winter rebuild.

This months question is all about front coilovers.

Mine has the factory Zimmerides on it (180lbs apparently). As expected, the bushes are knackered plus, one has, somewhere along it's journey,  lost the big spring seat nut (just sitting on the skinny lock nut!)

I think that I should take your previous advice and drop the rate to 120/130ish lof not quitebs. It was certainly way to harsh at the front as it was.

Who/where do I buy my coilovers  from? The internet has tons applicable info on it so, please help me out?

To be clear,  I'm after new front spring and shock coilovers to fit an inboard sprung stainless monocoque Robin Hood. 

I'm sure you'll come good so, thanks already.